Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to buy a bottle of Excel to experiment with, but it appears that it is now illegal to ship it to California. Even the fish stores here can't deliver it when I order from their websites, nor can Amazon or Ebay. So, I sent a question to a website that sells Metricide 14 to see if it could be shipped to California. Their answer was yes, it can be shipped here. Does anyone know what this is about???

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After 65 people have read this, still no answer. Last night I sent a question to Seachem on their website, asking why this is happening, and why stores can get a supply of Excel to sell in their stores, if it can't be shipped here. They acknowledged receiving the question. If I get an answer I will post it here.

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The situation is so ridiculous that I can go to a pet store and buy it there, but if I try to use their "free delivery" advertised on their website, they say they cannot deliver it to my address. This was repeated with Amazon and Ebay. But, those stores have to have had it delivered to them, so something isn't working right. I know there are an increasing number of hobbyists who are convinced that Excel is extremely bad, but that should not make it hard to get.

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today I visited a couple of local pet stores which advertised Excel in various size bottles, and neither one had Excel, nor much of any Seachem products. I asked a clerk why no Excel was there and he had no idea what it was. Since then I found a year old question to Amazon about why they wouldn't ship it to California - no answer. Some more googling just made the point that discarding glutaraldehyde products is very difficult, since it must be neutralized before discarding - and that includes metricide 14 day too. It looks like those products may be discontinued soon.

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm at the age when chunks of knowledge fly away every week or so! Today while researching Excel I rediscovered API CO2 Booster, virtually the same as Excel. I didn't find any sign of restrictions on delivering it to California, so I ordered a bottle from Amazon. So far they haven't cancelled the order. I used to use Metricide 14, but the problem with a gallon of that stuff is that you have to keep it in a safe place forever - it is hard to use up that much in less than years. And, disposing the remaining stuff is a real problem. That's why I only want 250-500 ml bottles.

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh! I have a used bottle I'm not using. I won't use glut again. I would give it to you for free but shipping an opened bottle would be a nightmare though.
Thank you for the thought! Amazon promises that I will have it sometime on Monday. It still seems weird that this can be shipped but Excel cannot be shipped.

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't see this sooner, but know the answer 🙂

There were changes to regulations in CA and as a result Seachem had to re-register Excel to be compliant, which takes time. Basically they need to re-label bottles sold in CA, once the paperwork goes through and the new labels approved they'll be able to ship to CA again. That's why some stores may still have it on their shelves (they *shouldn't*), but haven't been seeing them in shipments. I imagine the other "liquid CO2" products may be also caught up in this shortly, it all depends on how the labels read. Good ol' CA legislation for ya!
This makes the most sense of anything I have thought about. I'm supposed to get my API CO2 Booster on Monday, from Amazon. I will be studying it's label, etc. for things not on the Excel label. Incidentally, the local store shelves have very few Seachem products now, so it could be a labeling problem on all of their products.

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The API CO2 Booster arrived from Amazon today. I read the label and compared it to the label on Excel: The API label has a longer, more detailed warning paragraph, and the warning seems more serious. I suspect this is why Excel isn't delivered in this state now. But, the API product is virtually the same as Excel, so I'm happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.