Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to planted tanks. I was wondering does excel have any side effects with fish? Thanks Jeff

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Not when used as directed. Otocinclus are particularly sensitive to Excel, be sure not to dispense it near them.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Just remember Excel is a carbon source and isn't a complete fertilizer. You probably already know that. I just mentioned it because before I knew what I was "really" doing I thought that was all I needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, i appreciate responses..... I am also using the complete line of flourish...plants are doing OK.. I am thinking of going to CO2...Jeff

·
Registered
697 Posts
I am glad you mentioned that. i was thinking of getting some. How are they sensitive? I mean what happens?
what i've seen/experienced due to my lack of attentiveness, if you overdose with excel, you're doing the same thing if you inject too much co2 into your tank (especially if you're already injecting co2). your fish will start to gasp at the top of your tank, however ottos/plecos/etc, cannot gasp properly at the top of the tank. as a result they sufficate and die.

so you need to be cautious with how much you use in your tank, trust me, i only needed one lesson to learn.

·
Registered
310 Posts
as long as you use the correct amount its fine, sometimes people will 2x or 3x the dose to kill algae and the fish are fine. this is only 1 time not days in a row.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
An overdose 2x to 3x does not normally have any ill side effects to the fish. I accidently overdosed about 10x once and lost a few danios and otos.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts