Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
I certainly do not think I am an expert on planted tanks (well may be in growing algae ...... no wont go that way) but I have read a lot of articles on growing algae, I mean plants, and there seem to be lots of different experts who produce great tanks but do it differently!

Tom, in his previous article indicates that excess nutrients are unimportant, while others suggest balencing Nitrates and Phosphates, while other suggest limiting certain nutrients etc.

I have come to the (uneducated) conclusion that once you have a tank which is going well and the plants are being driven hard then you can throw most things into it and it will take it all. On the other hand if you have a tank that has not taken off yet and you do the same ....... have a green and slimy day.... Recognising the difference is the first step to having a good planted tank.

Finally, I suspect that what ever it is that actually stops algae growing is as yet not fully recognised, there is something associated with plant growth that stops algae growth, but thats just a gut feeling.

[Soap Box mode] = off

:-#

· Registered
57 Posts
I do not disagree with what you say, the problem is that commiting to adding high levels of nutrients to a tank is rather like jumping out of an aeroplane, everythings go to be right otherwise you in for a fall :shock:

Many beginners have most probably started this way not realising that there is something else thats going to limit plant growth in their tank such as the CO2 levels or lighting, or plant types or..... and end up with a solid green block.

The other thing to try and understand is that some people do seem to have success by limiting nutrients ..... how do we explain this?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.