Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
316 Posts
Peter(09) said:
Finally, I suspect that what ever it is that actually stops algae growing is as yet not fully recognised, there is something associated with plant growth that stops algae growth, but thats just a gut feeling.
.. and good plant growth can only be achieved with non-limiting levels of everything - and because plants become limited long before algae, the nutrient-limiting-aproach is a dead end for planted tanks.

If there are levels of nutrients higher than the macrophyte population is able to absorb/utilize then algae will pick up the slack.
Plants need continous high levels of nutrients to grow well. If one nutrient limit the growth of plants ammonium rise and trigger resting algae spores.

Limiting = Algae. Stable high nutrient levels = Resting algae spores and phenomenal plant growth.

· Registered
316 Posts
Peter(09) said:
I do not disagree with what you say, the problem is that commiting to adding high levels of nutrients to a tank is rather like jumping out of an aeroplane, everythings go to be right otherwise you in for a fall :shock:
Only the CO2, the hard part.

Many beginners have most probably started this way not realising that there is something else thats going to limit plant growth in their tank such as the CO2 levels or lighting, or plant types or.....
Only the CO2-level. The light is the one thing a beginner would want to limit. High CO2 and nutrient levels, less light = More wiggle room.

The other thing to try and understand is that some people do seem to have success by limiting nutrients ..... how do we explain this?
That is voodoo if it works. Limiting something to grow better. That does not compute.

But some folks (with voodoo-hands) manage to micro-manage and balance out the nutrients exactly to the low carbon supply and high light. But man, that's roulette. It can work for some with green fingers and an extreme amount of feeling, but I wouldn't suggest doing it to beginners.

Dump everything in (KNO3, KH2PO4, Micros), crank up the CO2, go easy with the light and watch everything grow like crazy. That's a tip for beginners.

Not the voodoo-stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.