Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just curious why do you say that 'Porto Velho' and 'Roraima' are synonyms?
The names reference different collection points (porto velho is in Brazil, roraima is in Venezuela), probably reflecting different lineages (subspecies/species/whatever). They certainly look different enough to merit keeping the names distinct.

At any rate, nice pics, so free bump for ya.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just curious why do you say that 'Porto Velho' and 'Roraima' are synonyms?
The names reference different collection points, probably reflecting different lineages (subspecies/species/whatever). They certainly look different enough to merit keeping the names distinct.

At any rate, nice pics, so free bump for ya.
Lot's of controversy with this plant. Right now I am staying consistent with the Plant Finder updates:

"...Plants traded as Hygrophila sp. 'Roraima' are apparently the same thing and may be from a separate importation. The Brazilian states of Rondonia - of which Porto Velho is the capital - and Roraima are both in the western part of the country, so it may simply be two collections of a species with a range that encompasses both areas.."

Different collection points, but does that necessarily warrant that it's a different species?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've traveled through Venezuela and Brazil; saying that Rondonia and Roraima are in the western part of the country is about as useful and accurate as saying that Minnesota and California are in the western part of the country. Porto Velho is in the West, by Peru and Bolivia, Roraima is in the North on the border with Venezuela (and in Venezuela). They must be close to 2000k apart. At any rate, my point was just that the two names reflect somewhat different looking plants from different places, and that naming conventions in the hobby should reflect this, which is no different than is already done in other cases... e.g. all the varieties of L. inclinata, not that PV/Roraima are necessarily separate species; I doubt that they are.

regards,
Joel

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey House! I found out that my Hygrophila sp. Roraima (aka Hygro sp. porto velho) originated with you! It's a small world!!! LOL
Now that I look at your pic, it does look like Hygrophila sp. hoc (aka Hygro sp. roraima, porto velho)
LOL.

I originally bought it from someone else here. Hey maybe we can trace it back to where it was yanked out of the ground. LOL.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
how tall does that hygro get?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.