Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a hagen master kit the other day and i found that both my Iron and Chelated Iron levels are not registering at all. According to the Fertilator in order to raise the iron level to a level of .4 using flourish i would need to add 3548.82ml Or with flourish Iron i would need to add 1135.62ml to my 75 gallon aquarium both of these numbers seem pretty drastic? am i missing something here. Adding a whole gallon of flourish seems drastic to say the least. It feels obvious that i am missing some key info here and i would really appreciate some help before i kill everything in my tank.

Thank you,
Andy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Andy

I think you used the wrong part of the Fertilator.

If you select "Get concentrations from chemicals added", for a 75 gallon tank (it should probebly be less 75 X .9 = 67.5) and select florishIron for the Iron FE slot, and put 10 mil you will get a ppm of .35 :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
JeffB said:
Andy

I think you used the wrong part of the Fertilator.

If you select "Get concentrations from chemicals added", for a 75 gallon tank (it should probebly be less 75 X .9 = 67.5) and select florishIron for the Iron FE slot, and put 10 mil you will get a ppm of .35 :)
oops, I was using the find amount of target chemical option. There seems to be a slight difference between the two..... ](*,) thank you

ps. whats the *.9 for, the volume of my substrate? btw 90lbs 100% flourite

·
Registered
41 Posts
The tank real volume is never the same as the advertised volume. The .9 is just a kludge. There are calculators on the web to figure the actual volume when you plug in the measurements of the tank Of course if you use the EI method it does not matter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Jeff, I put in 30cc of flourish, measured through a syringe in and i have an iron reading now :razz: , now my next question is will i have to use that amount on a frequent basis to keep the level up or will it more likely be a case of minor (5ml or so) additions. I guess I'm asking if i should go out and buy a 2l bottle now or should i stick to the smaller ones? the 2l does seem alot more economical as long as i use it before it goes bad though?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use the EI method, that means I make sure I have a surplus of all my macros and micros in my tank at all times. I dose the macros and micros on alternating days and do 50% water changes every Saturday. I am not an expert on the system and I am myself still learning. I started by using a post that had a breakdown based on a 20g tank and I converted down to a 10g so that it would be easier to transpose to a larger tank. I am at work now, but if you are interested pm me an I will forward the info to you tonight when I am home. I would suggest that you do a search on the EI (Estimated Index) method on the site. There will be a lot of useful info from people who know more then me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts