Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried to use the Fertilator and it seems to work just fine, but my numbers seemed low which brought up the question to me of what time period we were entering amounts for? Daily dosing, Weekly, etc.

It would be nice if you could add a field for "Dosing Period" = Daily, Weekly, Monthly, etc.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
The fertilator doesn't calculate weekly/daily etc... dosing schedules because there is no way to know how many nutrients your plants will use in that time frame. There are far too many factors that influence nutrient use in a fishtank to ever create a calculator.

The fertilizer will just calculate concentrations. So if you add X amount of fertilizer to the tank the immediate concentration will be Y. It tells you nothing about how fast your plants will use the nutrients, but if you look at the bottom of the fertilator where the answer boxes are you will see values like (10-20 - for nitrates) this is the recommended range that you keep your nutrients at all the time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, then I have to assume I'm way under dosing my tank.. For example, my current dosing is based on Rex Griggs recommendation. I'm putting 65 grams of KNO3 in a 1 liter or 1000ml bottle. That 1liter bottle is supposed to dose my take (150 Gallon) for 66 days.

So I took 65 Grams / 66 days = 0.975 grams per dosing

So I enter 0.975 into the KNO3 field and 150 in the tank size and press calculate, I get 1.05 which is way below the 10 to 20 PPM!!

Boy, I sure wish I could get this ferts thing down!! ;)

g

1 - 3 of 3 Posts