Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i've got a question i was hoping someone could help me with, i've just tried the fertilator for the first time and it seems like something may be not quite right...or it may be me.

i've got a high light 55g tank it recommends 70gr of Epsom's for 46ppm and 20gr of n03 for 82ppm. isn't no3 range supposed to be 10-20 ppm? seems like both these additions are VERY high to me. :shock: can anyone help me here??

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
well, using math and other nutrient calculators, I know that .6g of KNO3 will be approx. 10ppmNO3 in 10 gallons Multiply that by 5.5(your 55 gallon) and you get 3.3g KNO3 to dose 10ppm NO3 in 55 gallons. This does not take into account actual tank volumes or any of that..... Did you really mean 82ppm or 8.2 ppm? Something still seems off there. I would go try again. I can't help anymore. I just entered 3.3 grams of KNO3 into the Fertilator, for a 55 gallon with actual volume box UNchecked and got 9.72ppm NO3. That certainly seems correct.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok yeah, i must have made an error on the n03 but i still have to input 68gr of epsoms salts to reach target...that's estimating 46g on my 55g tank. just doesn't seem right to me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Why do you want 46ppm of Mg anyway? Shouldn't you be shooting for
5-10ppm? Just curious...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your actually misunderstanding whats happening. this is what i did:

i entered 46g, checked high light, selected epsom's salts as my nutrient for mg. then i used the drop down menu for grams and entered 5gr...it appeared red which i'm assuming is supposed to mean the level entered is low. i kept entering progressively larger amounts until the calculated ppm turned green(assuming this was calculated as desired amount)

anyhow by the time the calculated amount turned from red to green it was at 68gr. ](*,)
so...in response, no, i realise i don't want 46ppm but the fertilator doesn't seem to be calculating what is the desired ppm based on my tank size, light, nutrient etc. based on Mg.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
the fertilator seems to calculate the ppm correctly but the color "guide" is a little off:) I would not go by that. Don't worry about the color, just dose what you need to.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, that was just what i was looking for...thought i was nuts!

seems to be more than just a little off too huh
:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts