Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Friends,

Is it ok to fertilize the tank to grow some algae ? I want to grow some algae for my plecos and snails... Kindly guide me...

Thanks and Regards
Kush

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Do you have a planted tank, or just a 'fish tank' with plecos and snails? If you just have a fish tank, then just overfeed a little bit, and throw in a bit of organic matter to decompose. That will create a little bit of ammonia and algae will surely follow.

If you have a planted tank, I wouldn't recommend doing any such thing. It would behoove you to just buy algae wafers to feed the plecos or boil a little spinach etc. Asking to grow algae in a planted tank in a controlled fashion...I wouldn't recommend that. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a planted tank, or just a 'fish tank' with plecos and snails? If you just have a fish tank, then just overfeed a little bit, and throw in a bit of organic matter to decompose. That will create a little bit of ammonia and algae will surely follow.

If you have a planted tank, I wouldn't recommend doing any such thing. It would behoove you to just buy algae wafers to feed the plecos or boil a little spinach etc. Asking to grow algae in a planted tank in a controlled fashion...I wouldn't recommend that. :)
Hi there !

Thanks for the reply... Its not a planted tank, its just a frontosa tank with snails and plecos and ghost shrimps...

Kindly guide me..
Thanks again !
Kush

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
No problem. Fertilize any way you want. However, you might get kinds of algae that plecos and snails don't eat, such as green water or tough, bad tasting hair algae or toxic blue green algae (cyanobacteria). Snails usually stop growing but don't die when the algae they eat is under control and not visible. Plecos are more of a problem and can be fed blanched zucchini or other vegetables. Some plecos, I have heard, like a piece of wood to chew on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts