Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Ferts for slow growers...

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  plantbrain 
Bert, if you want what I call a lazy tank,

A single 15 w triton bulb, A decent reflector.
Deep onyx sand(3"-4") and about 1/2 of peat or soil that's been soaked for your tap water. Add mulm from your other tank.

Add some fish, a good sized school of something. Feed them daily.
I'd consider adding some Excel maybe, even a tad of KNO3 once in awhile and Equilibrium/PO4.

Just a pinch or each once a week.
Don't change the water, add for evaporation only.

Consider some small branchy pieces of twigs eminating from the center of your layout also. Plant the tank heavy, I know you have the other tank with Crypts etc, use that tank to build up enough plants to fully pack this one.

You saw my non CO2 tanks I never did anything to.That's pretty much the deal on those.

If you have slower growing plants, then they will be fine. I had faster growing stem plants in there. I did not use the excel though, you might want to to get the plants going well then stop.

As long as you feed the fish, add water, the tank should be fine.

Regards,
Tom Barr

See th DFWAPS's site under gallery, under Plant fest 2K4, under Tom Barr's tanks.
Both cubes are no water changes, no nothing except feeding the fish and topping off.

People bemoan their tanks and techy stuff yet do not do the non CO2 thing, I do not understand.

Regards,
Tom Barr

2 months ago is was in perfect shape, it's ratty in this picture. This was not an open house, just a horde that wanted to come over to see some stuff, I spent the last 48 hours running the pack over to the springs and rivers, not tending a tank. This is the way they basically look all the time.
You can sopt the crust on glass etc.

Guy's tank got a big chunk of petrified wood.

The 75 I add the normal routine, every other day dosing of KNO3, KH2PO4, some seaChem EQ, and traces on the off days.

Nothing fancy or secret.
The 20 gal was running super till everyone came there and wanted plants:)

You all coming to the SFAS meeting Sept 3rd for the Marine plant tank presentation?

I'll see you all there.

Regards,
Tom Barr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.