Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Hi All.

I have just started using willow branches to clear my 72 gallon planted tank.
It' seem from the discussion members have used both fresh (cut right off the tree) and old branches (dead) on the ground for this method. Doesn't the branch have to have some softness in it to grow new roots.

My only concern is do you think fresh branches are safe for plecos and otos since they will be sucking on them.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Hi Oleg, maybe I spoke to soon. The water is looking clear this morning. The big test will be by days end, because my water has been getting a green haze to it by evening, I even dosed po4 and no3 this morning. Just for the record the branches that are rooting were fresh branches right off the tree and were cut from both ends. The lighting on the tank is a hood light and is below the top of the branches which are sticking out of the top of my tank.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Thanks for all the good info. The blackout was my next option. Over the last day my GW has definitely gotten much better and the roots (see pic) have gotten on the willow branches. I've continued to dose no3 and po4 but on the bottom end of the EI scale. I had been using P-Clear (Hagen) to clear GW, but it only lasted a few hours and was cloudy again, so obviously the GW is still being feed.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/481193347WgNNkJ

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Well I finally made it through the day without any haziness and without adding anything to the water. It's tough to completely credit the willow branches, could be that the growth in plants gave the GW a knockout punch, (tank is 3 1/2 weekk old) but I must admit it did coincede with the large root development on the willow branches over the last few days.

BTW - I continued to dose no3 and po4. The water right now is crystal clear.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Edward,
Well that is interesting. Are there only willow branches in the tank and nothing else? Is it possible that the willow branches land a hand to their aquatic plant cousins by sucking up enough to get rid of the GW, but on their own it's not enough. Maybe the plant mass in my tank was going to clear the GW eventually anyway. I simply don't know and I guess more controlled experiements would be necessary.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
I was using the willow method for about a month. It took about 2 weeks to get good root development. My water did clear eventually, but I don't know if it was the willow branches or the fact that my plant mass finally increased enough to eliminate the green water. My tank was only about 20 days old when I got the GW. I removed the willow branches about 3 weeks ago and have not had green water since. My best guess is that the willow branches suck up alot of waste, but I don't know if that's any diffferent than throwing a bunch of weeds in your tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.