Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I think I am too impatient for either method, Blackout or Willow. An overnight run of a diatom filter ($45 HOT Magnum with diatom powder) has cleared up almost every Green Water case I've had. Sometimes it runs a bit longer than overnight but it's not a problem.

I think the whole point should be figuring out how we got the NH4 in the tank in the first place and trying to reduce or eliminate it...adding more plants or less bio-load to the tank.

I know in my case I can bring on a case of green water by uprooting enough plants and not doing a water change afterwords. Now I either uproot the plants and do a water change or put the diatom filter on the tank when I can't get to the water change right away.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
stcyrwm said:
Do you have to get a special cartridge to hold the diatom powder or is there a way to put it in that comes with the filter?

Thanks, Bill
The HOT comes with a pleated filter cartdridge that can be used with or without diatom powder. It works pretty well given the cost :) for what, 1/2 the price of a dedicated Diatom filter? The HOT also came in handy when I got another tank and didn't have a filter for it. Just put in on the tank while I waited for my Eheim to be delivered! Definately a handy filter to have around!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
chiahead said:
So do you just pour the D.E. (diatom powder)powder in the bottom of the HOT magnum??? .
I think the directions (for either the HOT or the Magnum 350, I don't remember which) state to put the Diatom powder in a bucket of water and filter the bucket of water until the water is clear.

I have done it this way and it always releases a dust cloud of Diatom powder into the tank on filter startup on the tank.

I now add my powder to a 500ml Rubbermaid container and fill it with water. I cap the container and put it in the tank under the intake of my HOT. I turn on the HOT and I open the container and let the HOT suck the powder/water solution from the Rubbermaid container into the filter intake. Doesn't take very long to do and it doesn't release diatom powder all over the tank. You may still notice a little bit of the powder bypassing the filter at first.

chiahead said:
If so, how much do you put in for lets say an 80 gallon tank?.
I use 2 ounces of powder (1/4cup) for all of my tanks. They range from a 30g to a 75g. Tank size doesn't really matter as much as the filter volume. I have found that if I add more powder, it clogs up too fast and if I add less it takes longer to clear. I haven't done it an a while now so hopefully I didn't forget anything!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
robby said:
About the killing: I was told that willow contains acetylsalicyl acid. This should be known as a bacterial inhibitor.
If willow does contain acetylsalicylic acid and that is the main chemical that takes care of the Green Water then we may as well drop a baby aspirin in the tank.

Acetylsalicylic Acid is Aspirin...

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know....

I just filled my failing 10g emmersed setup on my deck with water. It gets 4-6 hours of direct sunlight with filtered sunlight the rest of the day. I also added some Vigoro Flower and Vegetable Plant Food to the water to help promote Green Water. I don't think it will take too long to get Green Water in this setup.

This fertilizer consists of:

17% Nitrogen
- 3.6% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
- 4.6% Nitrate Nitrogen
- 8.8% Urea Nitrogen
17% P2O5
17% K2O

My thoughts are to add 81mg (2-3ppm if my calculations are correct) of Aspirin (acetylsalisylic acid) to the tank after the Green Water is in full bloom and see what happens. I can always add more if it has no effect and it shouldn't be too hard to induce more green water for future experiments.

Presently, there are no fish in this tank, just some HC which is doing suprisingly well considering the neglect it has received. If the aspirin does in fact kill or significantly decrease the Green Water, I may add a few feeder guppies to the tank and try it again to see the effects aspirin has on fish :)

I know this is a very basic experiment so if anyone has any input to make it more scientific, feel free to lend a hand...

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Mkes sense but since I only have one 10g tank at the moment, I will have to continue on with this method for the time being :)

I guess I could invest another $10 in another 10g tank (or find a SWOAPE member willing to donate one) and do a "control" tank also. Set up both tanks exactly the same and treat one with ASA and let the other one go untreated. I assume this would verify the results of the first test.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Hey Sean,

I'm actually going to try the Aspirin method since it seems Aspirin is much easier to find than willow branches :)
My test subject is coming along a bit slower than expected...I don't know if it is due to the Timed release fertilizer or the cooler night temps we have had the past few day. The green water is not where I thought it would be by now.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I don't have a clue if Aspirin is safe for the fish! Does your test subject have fish in it? If not you could always give it a try too! I was going to put a single 81mg aspirin into the 10g and see how it works. I believe that will give me about 2ppm of acetylsalicylic acid.

If it works on the green water then I will try again with some feeder guppies in the tanks and see how it does with fish.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
swo21259 said:
did you ever finish your test ?
I did not finish and have actually abandoned this experiment. While the tank appeared to have cleared somewhat after about 4ppm of Aspirin it is hard to tell for sure.

I will be setting up two 10g tanks tomorrow (assuming I get over this cold) and growing out some green water over the next few days. This will give me one tank as a control and one tank to put the Apsirin in. That way I should be able to tell if one tank gets clearer than the other.

I will probably test it with 325mg (~8ppm) of aspirin versus the 162.5mg. If all goes well with the tests this week, I hope to add some Endlers to the tanks this weekend and see how they react to the Aspirin...

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
houseofcards said:
What in your opinon is the connection with the no3. I basically subscribe to the EI method and didn't thing the no3 was an issue.
The Green Water and other types of algae, will feed off of fertilizers just like the plants. While stopping ferts may stop the gren water, it will probably also stop plant growth and lead to other types of algae growth. GW can be induced by NH4 (ammonium). Once established, it hangs on for a while. To remove it you can:

1) use a diatom filter - Costs $ unless you have a filter
2) blackout the tank for 3 days - do a search on blackouts for specific directions - Blackouts are free!
3) UV filter the tank - $ issue again
4) try the Willow method suggested in this thread- free if you have access to willow branches and if you can get it to work

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Edward said:
Hi Oleg
It's quite interesting. We have in this direct sunlight room four 10 gallon aquariums and one 50 gallon. The 50 gallon aquarium doesn't get green water, but the other aquariums do. This goes on for years. I was hoping the willow does the trick because it is so simple. I even tried the Aspirin as mentioned above, one tablet a day - didn't kill the green water.

I will keep the willow there so we can see how it goes.

Thank you
Edward
Hey Edward,

I noticed you tried the aspirin and it didn't work. I had also tried it in a 10g tank I had on my deck and it was unseccessful. I first used 162.5 mg followed by 325mg the next day. The water seemed better but it was hard to tell without a control tank.

I have been attempting to grow two more cultures of green water outside and have been unsuccessful due to the cold weather (40's at night) and have assumed the cold was keeping the GW from establishing.

I am going to attempt the GW again this weekend. I will probably add more than one 325mg tablet per day since one tablet had no efffect on my tank or yours. If I remember correctly, one 325mg tablet only adds about 8ppm of ASA to the tank (bare bottom 10g). Feel free to check my math on the PPM dosage...

What affect do you think heat would have on your 10g tanks in the sunroom? They would not be as stable temperature wise as the 50g.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Edward said:
I know people trying to get green water without success. It's hard if conditions are not right. Maybe we should try growing algae instead of plants to learn what they like the most and then build our strategy against them. What do you think?
I agree whole heartedly :)

I never have trouble growing green water in my plant tanks. Any major substrate disturbance, such as uprooting a large crypt, and not doing a water change almost always leads to green water in my plant tanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.