Aquatic Plant Forum banner
101 - 120 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don't put willow into gravel - roots must be outside of earth to get their food from water, not from substrate.

Not every willow will work - the best one grows near warter, with long thin leafs. It produces "hairy" red roots. You can see more pictures here: http://lis.aqa.ru/iva/iva.html

Willow in the tank can supress plants too, not algae only.

P.S. Not only willow will help - mangrove is the other to try.

Another known way is to put enougth daphnia into gauze and place it into tank... theoretically, they'll eat all the "green water" algae (never tried it, it seems that this method is not widely tested).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I think this is going to be my first post here. But I've been browsing around acquiring rich information about the trade. I thought I'd contribute on this useful thread.

So I started getting GW about two weeks ago and tried curing it with API's Accu-Clear (which temporarily worked on my pond before). Used it twice as recommended and no improvement whatsoever.

The water got so murky I couldn't see anything past 8in deep. Well, yesterday I got some branches from a weeping willow tree, tossed it in my aquarium - with the leaves still on, and took the flower buds off - and after 24 hours, I now noticed quite a difference! Not only could I see the back of my aquarium (12in), I could see a plant 24in away from the side glass.

No roots have developed on the branches. The branches were very young ones, probably 6 of them 16in+ in my 55 gal.

I can't wait for what's happening tomorrow. I think at this rate, it should be crystal clear after 24 hours?! Only if things went that smooth... [smilie=t:

Thanks everyone in advance for such wonderful insight.

-Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
So after 48 hours, my water became clear-er than before. I'm just blown away with the results!!! None of the other plants seem to had any negative affect. So thanks everyone!

-S

·
Registered
452 Posts
I was wondering if this method would work with other plants, perhaps interjecting the roots of a water lilly... Hmmm?
Most floating pond plants need very high light levels to do well in indoor aquarium. So the water lilly types aren't practical indoors for most people. But, some of the other floating plants should work. In particular Pistia stratodes (water lettuce) might be the best one to try.

I had a water lily type plant melt down due to a bug infestation and then the water turned green. I put in some Pistia stratodes and that cleared it up in about a week. This appoach also worked when I added too many micros in another tank which resulted in an algal bloom.

Spirodela polyrrhza (Giant duckweed) should also help, but doesn't develop the roots that really seem to pull excess nutrients out of the water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi, i have a bare bottom 10 gallon tank that has had green water for about half a year now. i tried blackouts, but the green water came back. algone, a commercial product, also had no effect after 2 weeks. then i got linked to this thread from aquahobby forums.

so i now have 8 1-foot long willow tree branches, each 1/8" thick. i placed them under the light and put the hood on. the ends of the branches are sticking out.

will willow branches of this length and thickness work, or do i need thicker or longer branches?

·
Registered
6 Posts
now, after about a week, i see little white puffs forming on the branches. are they rotting or will roots come out?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It's either rotting, or a type of fungus. Take it out and scrub the puffs off.

If you've had GW that long, I'd just go ahead and either buy or rent a diatom filter. I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
6 Posts
after the diatom filter clears the water, will the green water come back after a few days/weeks?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

now, after about a week, i see little white puffs forming on the branches. are they rotting or will roots come out?
Those are the spots, where new roots will appear. This is similar to other plant I've seen.

Right now, I am testing the method as well. After 10 days, I see some of those spots an first roots under water. Funny: Just an inch above the water, some roots are coming out and are developing faster.

I cut twigs from two different kinds of willow to see if one is faster that the other. But it seems, 10 days is standard in wintertime.

Greets,
Peter

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a professor that does research with daphnia... and she is always growing green water to feed them. So, yes daphnia will work. They just won't last very long in your tank with most fish around.

Cheers, Whitepine

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Crazy thought here, but it could be something new to think about.
Willow tea is sometimes used as a rooting hormone in organic greenhouses and stuff.

What if the willow is giving something to the water instead of taking something away?

I may try a little project with willow tea in the spring when my willows get new growth.
BTW, I have many black willow and am willing to share for the price of shipping. They won't start leafing out here in MO for a couple months though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hallo,

I gave up on the willow method this week. I had two kinds of willow in my tank, about 6 sticks each. After 5-10 days, roots appeared but it did not clear a bit. Then I tried a 5 day blackout (left the sticks in) and checked this morning: The water was still green! The roots on the sticks were quite impressive.

Ok, did 3 90% water changes in a row and cleaned out most of the muck. Appearently most beard algae died. Some plants started growing again during the blackout (Sagittaria, Crypts, Annubias, Echis, Hygrophilia). Limmnophilia stayed inert and my Lotus lost most of the leaves.

I dosed now NO3 to 8mg plus FE and PO. Wait and see ...

Greets,
Peter

·
Registered
6 Posts
it's been 19 days since i put in about 8 willow branches in my 10 gallon. i took two out because they didn't have any roots. the other 6 branches started growing roots 9 days ago and are still growing.

however, the green water has not cleared but has gotten worse, maybe since i've been keeping lights on for 9 hours a day.

i've turned the lights off a few days ago and did two 25% water changes yesterday, so the tank is now less green.

i might just abandon the willow tree method because i just bought an internal 9w uv sterilizer. it was rather cheap at $29.99.

·
Registered
6 Posts
well, the willow branches were in my tank for 26 days and had grown roots all over, but the green water has not been noticeably affected. therefore, i took them out and declare the willow method a hoax.

·
Registered
6 Posts
beware of rotting branches. once you see them rotting, taking them out immediately to avoid infecting your fish.

my female betta most likely died because it was constantly swimming around the branches and came in contact with the rotting ones.

clearly, this method is only feasible for a short period of time, say 1 week, before it becomes a living hazard!

just get an internal uv sterilizer like i did and save yourselves some trouble...

AA Aquarium ¡V a reputable brand of quality aquarium equipment

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

just a brief addition: I had a UV-C on the tank with the green water for 4 days before it started to clear. So it must have been a really bad case. It still has some white haze, and I plug the UV-C in every night.

Bye,
Peter

101 - 120 of 200 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.