Aquatic Plant Forum banner
121 - 140 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi guys

This has also taken the last 30 minutes for me to read and is an excellent thread. I have a new setup using amazonia and powersand special. The tank is cycling and has been running for 12 days. I have a hint of greenwater along with the algea bloom due to the cycling.

I have not seen it mentioned, but as riccia is a fast grower would it make sense to try this as a method also? I have floated a small amount and it seems to be growing fairly quickly. I also have access to willow its everywhere here where i live.

Excellent thread guys

Brad

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Hi guys

This has also taken the last 30 minutes for me to read and is an excellent thread. I have a new setup using amazonia and powersand special. The tank is cycling and has been running for 12 days. I have a hint of greenwater along with the algea bloom due to the cycling.

I have not seen it mentioned, but as riccia is a fast grower would it make sense to try this as a method also? I have floated a small amount and it seems to be growing fairly quickly. I also have access to willow its everywhere here where i live.

Excellent thread guys

Brad
When you use ADA Amazonia soil I think you are initially supposed to change water every few days to keep ammonia from building up. After a month or so you don't need to do that. You could also use purigen or activated carbon in the filter for the first month to keep the ammonia under control. It is that ammonia that causes the green water to start up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks Hoppy

I have been W/C every 2nd day at 50%. I am adding purigen tomorow to the filtration as i have had trouble accessing it. Through testing the ammonia has dropped alot since the begining but is stil at around 5ppm.

Thank you for your reply, sorry if i have hijacked the thread.

Brad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, guys! This is my first post at the APC forum, but I've been watching you for a while;) I really liked this thread, coz there were a lot of comments, both positive and negative, looked like a heated discussion.

Two weeks ago I got green water in my 30g newly set up tank. I tried blackout for five or six days, which led to no results but weakened plants. Then I put five willow branches in my tank (it was Salix alba, I believe) and eagerly waited for the results. Water started to clear as first roots appeared (days 4th to 6th, depending on branches). After only three days of rooting I have very clear water in my tank. Thank you very much, Oleg! :)

I want to comment one more thing. Here some guys tried to use aspirin to get rid of green water. I think it's quite fruitless because algae that cause water to get green, and my green water was apparently caused by algae, have a lot in common with higher plants: that's really hard to find an antibiotic that can selectively affect algae leaving alone plants. Aspirin, which is really found in Salix species, is hardly to have this selective property. Moreover, as the majority of people have noticed using willow branches, water in their tanks clears only after rooting of willow, which means that willow sucks up some nutritions from water rather than producing something into water.

And one more funny thing to notice: this method was introduced by a Russian fellow, which makes me think that I have to read more Russian forums, for my native language is Russian. Anyway, it was funny to discover this topic being so popupar at one of the best aquascaping forums to my mind))

·
Registered
355 Posts
I dont know about anyone esle tank, but Surely Ammonia. was the main cause of green water in my dads Tank..
Since parrot fishes Poop alot... and they dont eat all the food... Alot of ammonia was Made but since they died there was no more ammonia And no more green water

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hello everyone!!!

This is my first post

I have gw in my 180 liters (47G) planted aquarium.

After reading this post I put two weeping willows branches, 2cm (1 inch) in diameter 70 cm (27 inch) long, inside the aquarium.

I have two doubts:

Do I have to take the leaves of the branches?
Some part of the willow has to be out of the water?

Thanks!!

This is the photo of my aquarium with the willows branches inside;

Juan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Hello everyone!!!
This is my first post
I have gw in my 180 liters (47G) planted aquarium.
After reading this post I put two weeping willows branches, 2cm (1 inch) in diameter 70 cm (27 inch) long, inside the aquarium.
I have two doubts:
Do I have to take the leaves of the branches?
Some part of the willow has to be out of the water?
Thanks!!
This is the photo of my aquarium with the willows branches inside;
Juan
Hi Juan,
This is not going to work. You need to remove the leaves. And put the branches vertically, so the upper part is about 20cm out of the water.
Good luck!
Oleg

·
Registered
329 Posts
Oleg,

After six days of treatment the water is almost clear:

Do you think I should take out the willow branches now ? The GW is gone, but there are few other types of alge remaing.

I am also using activated carbon in the filter. Do you think I should take it out ?

Just for testing your method I increased the lighting period to 10 hours and stopped water changes when I introduced the willows branches. Do you think I should reduce the light duration and restart the water changes as soon as the branches are gone ?

Thanks,

Juan

·
Registered
329 Posts
3/10: I put the willows inside the aquarium

4/10: you told me to trim the branches

5/10: the willow started to root

7/10: the water is more clear

8/10: the water is more clear

9/10: the water is more clear and the willow's roots grow very fast

10/10: the water is crystal clear

·
Registered
31 Posts
Day 0

Day 11

Day 17

Day 21

Willow branches (weeping willow) were not successful.
4 branches in a 27 litre tank (7 gal?)

Day 22 I'm moving the fish and getting out the bleach.

No ferts were added at any time.
Two 50% water changes were done during the 21 days.
Tap water has undetectable N and P.
KH and GH <1 Degree out of the tap and are boosted to GH 4 and KH 3 (degrees)
Temp 22C

·
Registered
329 Posts
It is obvious that the willow didn’t work in your case. And I really don’t know why.

Maybe it is just a coincidence that my tank got rid of the algae just when the willows branches started to rout.

But a friend of my fought with GW for a month without success. He put the willows branches and a week later the water was crystal clear. He took photo of the process just like you.

Now I am really confused. jejeje

Anyway, Merry Christmas !!!

Juan

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am just guessing, but I can only think in two answers:
A) the willow branch has no effect and the cases when the GW disappear is just a coincidence.
b) the willow branch help to stabilize the tank, but it can not do it completly by itself.

Bye !

Juan

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have had 4 times GW since I started my 180 liter tank.

I have already left the photo of the first time I had GW.

The second and third time it disappeared after 2 or 3 days without doing anything.

The four time it appeared the 28 of November.

Since that day to the 29 of December I did the followings things:

1. 4 50% water changes
  2. I reduced the light period to 8 hours
  3. I put activated coal to the filter
  4. co2 continuously
  5. I stopped trimming and the tank became a jungle !

The GW didn't change. I think it even got worst !

The 29 of December I introduced 3 willow branches. After more than a month with GW, today the water is more clear !!!! And again it coincided with the first routs coming out of the branches.

It is just a great mystery !!! jejeje

Bye !!!

Juan

Juan

121 - 140 of 200 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.