Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
I think a small eheim 22xx series canister would be the best. If you are strapped for cash an Aquaclear 300 is a good size hang on filter. I have about 5 Aquaclear filters right now. Just don't get a Fluval.

Steve

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi Dennis,

I have used an aquaclear 300 for a 30. If you don't use the top cover they are normally pretty quiet, but I think they tend to vibrate after a few years and make a little extra noise. The impeller shaft design on these is low budget. This is probably the cheapest way to go.

I bought a Fluval 204 for the 30 but it is noisy, keeps getting air bubbles in it, tends to clog since it has such a convoluted filter path that it actually has little cross section, the hoses kink easily, it is hard to prime with the little plunger, and it was expensive. Its not as heavy duty as an Eheim.

I have 2 Eheim 2217s on my 125 gallon tank. They came with quik disconnect valves. Since there are no baskets in the thing, there is no bypass inside the filter (all the water gets filtered.) It never clogs up (9 months between cleanings). Its very quiet. Lasts 20 years at least. And was relatively cheap even with the disconnect valves and the filter media.

I would think the 2213 would be the way to go. Big Als has it for $73. (Its the plus kit- I think it has the valves and the media included).

Steve Pituch

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.