Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man, today is not a good day for me; Problem after problem. :(

I did a small water change today and noticed that my Renastar XP1 is putting out a dribble. I washed out the filter pads last weekend so i don't think that is a problem.

Could the output tube be clogged?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Could be anything. I would try to flush the input and output hoses (including the bar if that's what you use) and make sure that it is well primed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If could be clogged. The first thing I would check is the impeller.

Remove it and hold the magnet in one hand then spin the blades. It should spin about 75% of the way around and stop. It it just continues to spin you need another one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Like Fanatic suggested, check your impeller. I know on Fluvals a layer of muck will develop on impeller and cut down on the filter's efficiency. Sorry, I'm not too familiar with Renastars.

Good luck

·
Registered
299 Posts
Every time the output of my Filstar has dropped to nothing it was because the input was clogged with plant debris or fish :-(

·
Registered
156 Posts
Definitely clogged. The hoses will build up layers of gunk as well. You can usually buy long flexable brushes to clean those out.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Did you make sure to prime the filter very well? They don't produce much, if any flow if they are not well primed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Check the impeller! If you are getting little to no flow there are only a few things that can cause this.

1: Clogged lines.
2: Clogged media and or fliter pads.
3: Impeller and or impeller shaft broken.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
when you talk about the impeller shaft being broken, do you mean bent, or what?
Either broken/cracked in half so that it no longer turns the impeller, or bent to where it cannot turn.

·
Registered
144 Posts
when you talk about the impeller shaft being broken, do you mean bent, or what?
Generally they dont get "bent" they are either good to go or broken in two places because they are ceramic. If it is broken it impedes the action of the actual impeller and that causes a decrease in flow.

·
Registered
338 Posts
One other consideration is where is the filter located in relation to the tank? On Rena filters the filter lid need to be two feet (24") below the top rim of the tank. The downward force of the water helps push it somewhat. They cannot be placed beside the tank.

·
Administrator
7,398 Posts
Another possibility is that the media baskets aren't aligned properly within the canister. There's a hole in the top basket that goes beneath the outlet tube, isn't there?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts