Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bee running both Fluval's and Eheims external filter with the filter media that it came with for the most part. That means mostly stuff designed to have the largest possible area for bacterias to grow on for breaking down stuff like ammnonia and No2. But since my plants love the ammonia anyways, I have been wondering if I should take out all the expensiv Eheim ehfisubstrat and replace it with just the normal filter floss? I guess this could slightly help with adding more ammonia for my plants, and help with filtering away tiny particels that sometime can be found in a to large count in my tanks.

What kind of filter media do you use?

·
Registered
925 Posts
I am also wondering whats a good filter media for penguin 170's. (Well penguins in general). I don't want to use charcoal as was thinking about filter floss. I haven't seen and designed for the penguins though. Or maybe a second type of filtration behind the original cartridge. Anyone try something different with success?

·
Registered
215 Posts
In my fluval 303, 4 foam disks and one empty basket on the bottom. I rinse out the foam about once per month or so.
___
Jeff

·
Registered
925 Posts
I saw that earlier also. But the 170 doesn't have filter baskets. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts