Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marineland c-360 in my 92G planted tank (just 2 1/2 wks old), and my supply of fourish excel just got delivered today. The filter has a tray with carbon bags in it, does that need to come out before adding the ferts?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm getting a c-360 delivered thursday.
Would like to know this too as I been been using excel with a magnum pro with carbon and wondered the same thing. Also what about dosing with liguid ferts?

·
Registered
310 Posts
the carbon is defeating the purpose of ferts and breaking them down.
you dont leave the carbon in if your dosing a tank.

i might put the carbon if thre as an overdose of ferts or water quality was poor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that's what I needed....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Honestly I don't think it makes a difference. Tom Barr says you run the carbon to remove tannins from driftwood if you have it or to help control nutrients at the start. The carbon will only stay good for a couple weeks and then it loses its effectiveness. It provides a good place for bacteria to grow and thus turns into bio media.

http://www.barrreport.com/general-plant-topics/3821-carbon-water-clarity.html

Charlie

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
It hasn't been convincingly proven that activated charcoal removes any of the fertilizer components, and theoretically it would only remove some of chelated metal components of the trace mix. But, chelated iron is absorbed by the plants very soon after it is put in the water, so that shouldn't be a problem. Someone with good test kits could do some simple testing and settle this question pretty easily.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don't know if it would have made a difference. Started a new tank with a Eheim 2217 and left the carbon pad in. Dosing with dry ferts and Flourish and everything is doing great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts