Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we had another power outtage here lasting all of 2 minutes. Of course the crummy fluval 305 I have stopped working and did not start back up. Priming didn't help. I had to take the filter, turn it upside down and dump half of it in the lawn, then come back and reconnect the hoses and let it flow! The inrush of water causes the impeller to get moving and halfway through I plug it in and it finally gets going.

So...75 gal tank (larger in the future)...any recommendations?

Homemade?

I want something that will start back up if i have a power outage so i don't have to worry about whether or not the thing is working.

·
Super Moderator
5,835 Posts
Bummer!

I've never had any problems with my Eheim re-starting after an interuption, accidental or deliberate.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yea, I was just trying to think of a cheaper short term solution. With the heat the way it is rolling brownouts really concern me with trying to keep fish alive.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
305 is rated for a 75 but i wouldn't put it on anything better them a 40g. most filters are over rated for what they should be one. i take what ever a canister is rated for and cut it in half. i would get a eheim pro 2 or fx5 on there. i plan to get a eheim pro on my 75g. im way under powered but only have 3 angelfish in there so a lite bio load right now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Petsmart has clearance price on Rena XP4 of $184. I don’t know anything about them. Just thought I’d mention it. :(

·
Registered
315 Posts
Petsmart has clearance price on Rena XP4 of $184. I don't know anything about them. Just thought I'd mention it. :(
I have an XP4 and a few Eheims and alot of power outages in my neighborhood. Like, at least 1 a month for the last seven or eight years. The Rena and Eheims always restart. The XP4 will work for a 75 gallon very well.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Sounds like your pump head just needs a good cleaning and lubing. I use petrolatum jelly on the impeller shaft and magnet. Take a hose brush to the impeller well to remove all buildup that could cause it not to run.

The simple priming method I found is to disconnect the water lock assembly from the pump with hoses attached. Open the valve and manually start a siphon on the inlet side. Once started, close the valve and reattach the water lock assembly to the pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts