Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of filtration is best for a planted tank? I'm setting up my 20 Long and I'm wondering what type of filtration to go with... undergravel filter, canister, hang on back, sponge, etc....

I plan on having about 1 - 1.5 wpg with the following plants: java fern, java moss, anubias, a sword, echonodorus, water sprite, crypt wendii, banana plants. For inhabitants I'm thinking of a pair of pearl gouramis, a pair of bristlenose cats and six or so corys.... I may or may not go with CO2, a diy setup if I do....

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I agree, HOB's are a nice choice for a smaller tank like that. You certainly don't want an UG in a planted tank.

I think I'd scale back to just one Bristlenose. Two of them would be too much of a load in a 20, IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I use a Fluval 204 on my 20G long tank.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Undergravel filter does not seen to the best idea. Canister is good - you don't see it but it does his work :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm sure you could try a small canister but I've never used one on a tank that size. With your light levels a HOB should work well. HOBs create surface disturbance which can waste CO2 but this can be solved. Probably not a problem in your case but if you decide on DIY it could be.

To me your bristlenose (BN) and gourami stocking levels sound great. The BN will want a few caves or driftwood places to hide. Driftwood is important to have in the tank.

The only thing that concerns me is the cories. They will be very active and some get to be a good size. You will probably want to consider one of the smaller species.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
One species of Cories that stay small and grow slow are the Albino cory, which I have in my 20G long tank.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Albinos are nothing more than C. Aenus. Most cories will fit in a 20 gallon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts