Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. In a lightly to medium planted tank, will the plants provide enough biological and chemical filtration where I could get by with a canister filter (i..e. versus a biological filter such as an Emperor biowheel system)? Thank you.

·
Registered
581 Posts
A canister filter will provide you with mechanical and biological filtration. Be sure to remove the carbon inserts and replace it with something of your choice. You should be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Bio-wheel systems are not typically recommended where you have plants because they will degas CO2 off which you want for your plants. Cannister filters are the filter of choice for these systems. But if you already have a bio-wheel type and $$ is an issue, then just remove the bio-wheel part of it and just use it as an HOB type filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have a bio wheel and would prefer to go with a canister. Actually, I got a really good deal on an Rena XP2 filter which I cannot wait to come in. I will be sure to put some good carbon in there.

Any recommendations on if i should put in a bio media or stick with a water polisher and lots of carbon? The ceramic bio media seems neat but i kinda figure if I grow plants then I'm set on biologic.

Thank you for all your time and advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts