Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased some Oto Cats last week and I'm having trouble getting them to eat. I have tried two types of algae tablets and a sheet of algae (the type they use for sushi), but nothing.

They are fond of the brown algae in my tank, but it won't last them much longer. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
As long as they have a plentiful supply of brown algae they'll most likely ignore anything else you offer, which is good because you want them to clean the tank, right? Once they run out they will most likely be willing to try other things. In addition to the prepared algae, you can try blanching pieces of zucchini or cucumber. Mine seem to like the skin of these veggies after it's been softened, they'll also clean out any of the center where the seeds were if I don't scoop it out completely. They'll also occasionally try the shelled frozen peas I drop in for my snails. Otos are really good at finding things to eat that aren't readily visible, I just feed them to supplement what they find in the tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.