Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thanks a ton to Jake(FishandTurtleJunkie) for the beautiful plants he sent me! I learned that is is very difficult aquascaping a tank thats already full of water, and has eels in the sand haha. But here it is, please let me know if you like it, or where i can improve. Thanks~John

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
That's a big log! Reminds me of a anchor! When I have tied my anubias that high I ended up with algae growth on them. They were too close to my light source. I have moved them down in the tank and they are fine. Wonder how your's will do?

Looking good, though I think you might want a few more stems behind your wood to grow up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I wonder how they will do also! Algae eating inverts and fish always help though, except i have a datnoid in this tank who gets kinda hungry :)

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Wonderful looking scape. Like TexGal said, the back could use some filling in.

That TREE looks GREAT!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
looks promising i want to see if all filled in...subscribed
oh and what plants are used on top of the log and how did you go about attaching them. also how did you know those ones will do best there?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Im hoping some of the longer ones will fill in the back once grown. In the middle going under the driftwood, i would like to keep it bare and have a "valley."

looks promising i want to see if all filled in...subscribed
oh and what plants are used on top of the log and how did you go about attaching them. also how did you know those ones will do best there?
The plants on top(out of the water) are called Tillandsia. I knew they would do well because . . . . um, i really didnt have much of a choice:D I needed a plant that could live on a piece of hard driftwood. And Tillandsia fit that category as they are "air plants" which mean they dont need substrate or anything to root in, they take their nutrients and water in through their leaves straight from dust and water in the air. They are attached with small pins, and rubberbands when i could completely hide them. I was going for a look of plants growing all the way of the driftwood, in and out of water, as i thought that would be cool. One of them has sprouted 4 purple and yellow flowers already. I am however worried that they will have too much light. Right now i have three 80 watt plant growing T8's, and Tillandsia are naturally not exposed to direct light very much, just scattered forest light. Im also worried that the 240 watts of light is not enough for the aquatic plants, because all three of the could not fit over the tank(two are overhanging a bit).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh, and for the back, i was planning on some nice long vals?

and for those interested in the tillandsia, here is a very blury pic of the flowers and the plants

with flash

1 - 8 of 8 Posts