Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
I would use the Wonder Shells. Also 1 tsp baking soda, since Wonder Shells don't provide bicarbonate. However, no reason not to mix a little (2-3 tablespoons?) of oyster shells with the soil underlayer when you set it up.
Unless your house temperature is kept above 70F, I would add a heater since many aquarium plants are tropical. 50 watts is fine. Rest heater at the bottom and parallel to the bottom glass to encourage water circulation.
If you don't use a filter or aerator, you can probably get away with not having a lid. Less evaporation and this will be nice for floating plants.
Since this is your first tank, I would avoid carpet plants and especially driftwood. Tend to cause problems.
Any inexpensive LED lights would probably be fine. If lighting is too intense, you can do a siesta regimen or add floating plants to dim it down. Let the plants work it out.
Main thing is to start with a large selection of plant species.

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
Other than taking up planting space, carpet plants are harmless. Sagittaria subulata is a much better grower, so it can thrive in a soil-containing substrate and contribute to the health of the tank's ecosystem.
Ordinary potting soil should work. I mineralize soil in the tank rather than a bucket. People with not enough plants, soil layers deeper than 1", driftwood all over the tank often run into problem of the substrate going severely anaerobic. My book describes my method. Mineralization method is fine. It is your choice which method you want to use.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts