Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, I figured I'd just be better off having one even if I could be okay without it. I think I'm going to do a little experiment between the Wonder Shells and crushed oyster shells before I set up my tank, just to see how they each affect the water hardness.
The crushed oyster shell will likely take a while before you see any real change. I'm in the PNW and have soft water too. I added a very thin layer of crushed oyster shell between the soil and gravel, and I also add a quarter Wonder Shell each time I do a water change, which isn't very often. Regarding plant selection, you're gonna have to see what works and what doesn't. It's a bummer because some plants will do really well, and some won't. Start with LOTS of rooted plants. When you think you have enough, add more. You may need floaters too to help keep algae under control as they will take up excess nutrients at the start of your tank that will stimulate algae growth. My understanding about Monte Carlo is that it requires high light and C02 to really thrive, both of which aren't really part of the essence of a Walstad tank. I've never had any luck with it. S Repens on the other hand is doing pretty good in my tank, although not really forming a "carpet", just slowly spreading around. Lighting can be really simple, or really complex...just depends on how much you want to spend. Small aquarium LED lights are relatively affordable and easy to find. The key is finding the right amount of light (intensity) and the right duration that keeps plants growing but keeps algae at a minimum. I have a Fluval light that I can control intensity and spectrum and currently run it at 50% with no blue lights in the spectrum. Once I turned off the blue LEDs my algae issues cleared up pretty quickly. Lots of us use a siesta schedule - lights on for a few hours, lights off for a few hours, lights on for a few hours, lights off overnight. This can be set up with a simple timer used to turn house lamps on and off. Inhabitants are part of the equation too so you'll need to factor that in as well.
There's really no "easy button" to push here since every tank, and environment you create, is different. Follow Diana's book and keep it simple. Ask more questions here. We're always learning from each other. You'll have to experiment to see what works best in the world you create. That's part of the fun with these tanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts