·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Journal of my Nano HC, Emersed Growth
"Uber" Simple Aquascape

Tank Specs:
16x10x10 Inch
2pcs 23watt CFL's DIY Hood with Cooling Fan (upgrading to 4pcs)
Black Volcanic Sand
PPS Fertilization

Planned Fauna:
Otos
RCS

Pictures:
Day 0

Week 1

Week 4

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks LordSul :)

No special technique really.

-I just planted the HC as individual "plantlets" using small tongs on a 45 degree angle.
-Photo Period is 10 hrs.
-Fertz is PPS-Pro at 5ml Macro and 2.5ml Micro, weekly, mixed with around 20ml or so tank water from my 55g. (I plan to increase fertz dosage to double the amount though.)
-I don't let my substrate get too wet specially on the bottom slope.
-The top of the tank is covered with a glass lid but I leave a 5mm gap between the back wall of the tank and the lid for air circulation.

I think that's about it ;)

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
LordSul,

I've tried pumping a few bubbles of CO2 under the lid of an emersed HC setup. I basically put the end of the CO2 tubing in some water in the substrate and counted the bubbles. Well, 10 bubbles killed all the HC very efficiently. I must have done something wrong because my setup was not airtight or anything and I don't see how so little CO2 can wipe off all of my HC.

Basically you need to be very careful when adding CO2 in an enclosure. But if you use Aquasoil, tons of light, and don't let the substrate develop fungus or BGA your HC will grow shockingly fast without CO2.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You make it sound really easy!..:) Im interested to see what happens to this tank :cool:

Any ideas what would happen if you gave CO2 in daytime?
IME, it is! :)
If you are having a hard time growing HC submersed (like I do), you will find emersed propagation so much easier, needless to say.

I just hope my transition from emersed to submersed (I'll add CO2 once submersed) will be a smooth one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That looks great! From various threads I have read, it seems like HC really lends itself to the emersed growth technique. I managed to grow a nice lawn of hairgrass using the emersed technique too, although it did not spread very fast while emersed. The advantage there was that the hairgrass got well established and when I submersed the tank it spread like crazy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey, great going there. This will look great, it already does :cool:
About the PPS pro dosing, how do you dose the soil? You said 5ml weekly, which is less than normal PPS-pro dosing right?
Are you going to trim them down so the HC wont build up in chunks and melt itself from bottom?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Augus, orion2001, LordSul,
Thanks a lot guys.

LordSul,
This tank has a DIY under gravel filter made of 1/2" PVC pipes with holes drilled in a line. Pipes are positioned so that the Holes are facing down the bottom glass. I then attach a small power head on the intake pipe (this is where I dose) which goes up above the substrate.

Kinda like this but on a smaller scale (picture taken from a fellow hobbyist):

Yes, I think it's under-dosed, albeit barely since it's still in the emersed stage (less dilution).
5th week onwards, I am increasing the dosage to double what I used to.

Yup, if it gets too clumpy, I will trim it down.

HTH

·
Registered
204 Posts
Cool, I really like the DIY filtering system, never seen a filter like this.
This maybe a whole different subject but do you know what pros and cons this filter has?
And one more thing, water circulation, how will you manage that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the first time I'll be using this type of DIY filter. So , I cannot give a first hand experience commentary on it's pros and cons yet. Although, many of my fellow hobbyist achieved a lot of success using this basic design.

Water circulation is handled by the power head.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts