Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm not sure if this is going to work but it wouldn't let me upload the pic.

This is my tank at the moment, it's been running for about a month so far. As you can see I'm trying to get a carpet of glossostigma growing, it seems to be doing OK but I'm worried it'll get hair algae on it, some of the leaves have a bit of black hair algae on but so far the majority of them are ok. I have a lot of shrimp in the tank.

A while ago I think I posted here about heater cables, again I've never used one in the past but that green thing coming out of the gravel at the back left is the heater cable.

I post another picture in a month and we will be able to see how algae ravaged the tank gets!

·
Registered
204 Posts
your tank looks really great. I had tried glosso once, and it did very well under high light. The only problem I had was some of my loaches were destructive and uprooted it all the time. It has since gone - the glosso. I'd recommend putting up some really dark blue or black poster board or some kind of backing on your tank to hide the equipment, make the plants stand out more, and provide more feeling of depth.

·
Registered
127 Posts
From my experience with glossostigma, as long as you have your CO2 levels high, you won´t have to worry about algae in that plant. And even if you might experience algae problems in glossostigma, it might be only green spot because of the slow growth of the plant in low levels of CO2. That´s my experience with it. Your tank looks nice. That moss is very beautiful.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Nice tank, what kind of C02 are you using. Mind telling me tips on how you get your java moss to grow like that?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Hmm... everytime I tie to to my driftwood pieces the moss slips out and float all over the tank even when I had tighten the threads.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Neil, Very nice tank... I have never had luck growing Glosso, even in high light. Hopefully you will have better results. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
turtlehead said:
nice tank, what substrate are you using?
It's eco-complete sandwiched between a layer of gravel on the bottom and this Hagen gravel on the top which is quite light.

Jdinh04 said:
Nice tank, what kind of C02 are you using. Mind telling me tips on how you get your java moss to grow like that?
The CO2 is just your normal pressurised system, the only difference is mine has a night shut off valve. As everyone said it's just the tie on with cotton method.

Thanks for the comments.

Regarding the backing I'm undecided on what to use, I noticed Amanos more recent aquascapes dont have the black background, at one point it was a blue colour now it seems to be white. So that was my thinking for having it sans backing.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
CO2, CO2, NO3, NO3, NO3 and moderate to high light is all glosso needs. Make doubly sure your CO2 is 30ppm and you never bottom out your NO3 (atleast 5ppm always) and you'll be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts