Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I am very new to the fresh water scene and I am just wondering about a few things with live stock.

Ok so here they are...

first how many fish can be put into a 8 gallon biocube?
I want to put rummynose tetras, hatchets, and neon tetras.

ALSO

those little frogs they are at almost every fish store but I do not know the name.

Are those cool to have in a planted tank?

I would like to have as many fish I can have along with two of those cute little frogs

Thanks for helping a noob out.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Probably no more than about 8-11 fish depending on which ones you decide to go with (more smaller neon tetras than hatchets and rummynoses).

I would stay away from the frogs sold at petstores. Most are African Clawed frogs that grow pretty large (a good 5 inches or so) and if I remember right develop a taste for fish as they grow... You would need a larger tank for these guys.

·
Registered
551 Posts
There are african dwarf frogs which don't get longer than an inch. I had some of these in my 125 gal they never got any bigger and I had them for about 2 1/2 years

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The dwarf frogs are cute but I never had any luck with them. This is from someone who has fish living 5-10-15 years. The frogs lasted 2 months.

Yeah, if you do decide to get some, you have to make sure you get the "good" frog and not the "bad" frog. haha

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had anafrican clawed frog in a 10 gal tank with no plants for 15 yrs.

When i got my 75 gal about 6 months ago I bought 2 Dwarf frogs and plants. As soon ast I started using excel and other plant nutrients the frogs died within 2 months.

Matt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plus when you try to put the frog stocking on them they get really PO'ed.
:fish:
OK so id say in ditching the froggies but how does this sound for fish stocking?

4 rummynose tetras
1 cory cat
4 neon tetras...

OR

4 rummynose tetras
1 cory cat
2 neon tetras
2 hatchets .

Right now we only have 2 rummynose tetras and a cory cat.

please give me suggestions to work out the best stocking options because I really want this tank to kick butt so my dad doesn't regret me convincing him to buy it ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts