Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone im a new member here and would like to discuss the current problems im experiencing with my fish and the destruction of my plants.
i currently have a 2.5ft tank with many plants of which im unsure of their names.
this tank contains 2 angel fish,3 penguin tetras,2 bristle noses a mollie and 2female + 1 male gourami.
over the last few weeks i have been adding a substantial amount of plants to teh existing aquariums plant sculpture but have noticed day after day i wake up and one of my fish keep cutting them fair in half(not even eating them just chopping them).
this has become over frustrating as now i have spent way more on plants then fish itself and as of yet have not found the culprit.
this has been going on for a few weeks now and is making my tank look bare and disgusting is there anyone out there that can fill me in maybe on my species or the likely suspect as this is starting to cost me a mint and is quite depressing to the scenary!

thanking you
scott granger
[email protected]

ps . i can take and supply pics if needed. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
If you are 100% sure that the fish are doing it, it might be the angel fish.

A picture would be very helpful and more information about the tank setup. What kind of lights, fertilizers, how many weeks has this been happening over?

Also knowing what the plants are that are being destroyed would be helpful since not all plants that are sold in pet shops as aquatic plants are actually aquatic, so they die underwater and the fish (plecos) eat them.

Have a look through the plant database and find what the names are.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok tank setup is a 2.5ft tank ,using aquaone 500l/h filter internal , light is a cheap generic light no print on any of it,masterpet heater ,cheap stellar pump connected to an air wall.
using ferreal + spureal concentrated iron fertilizer.
this has been happening nearly daily for 2-3 weeks now i have not introduced any new fish just the same old ones just adding new plants.
ill add the photos of my plants i have also replanted any torn /cut plant bits in hope of new growth.
i also have riccia in the tank under gravel but is fine.
i will attached pics of my current plant types.just have to meet the upload requirements as they are currently 490kb pics.
thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Is it possible the plants are in need of light and macro nutrients (N-P-K) ? If the new plants you've been adding are one that require more than very low lighting, this may be the case. The lights that typically come with aquariums are great for fish, but barely meet the lowest lighting threshold for low-light plants.

-Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not sure there mate the best way i could explain it is like some1 is cutting them in half with scissors , otherwise new growth everywhere no real decay or anything like that

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Can you take a better picture? The flash is blocking most of the picture. Try setting your camera to "Macro" mode (usually the small green flower on the camera) and don't take a picture directly straight on. Angle the camera slightly so the flash doesn't bounce back to the camera.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx Bert my fertilizer is made by aqua medic , its a German brand like Eheim.
i have better pics with no flash and are adding them now u will see on the stalks were they have been stripped dry, in other cases completely cut into 2 bits and i have replanted them in hopes that they will take off again.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also another question i have is with the gravel and all the ornaments / plants wats the best way to clean the fish poop out of the rocks without disturbing the enviroment the most .
i would hate to have to take everything out then use a suction gravel cleaner. thx

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Looks like you have quite a few non-aquatic plants in there, (red and green caladiums, white and green). They will not survive. The parrot feather plant gets leggy like that and the new growth keeps reaching for the top.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just so u all know note in picture 3 i have posted the water level and tank all the green/white and red/green are actually a backdrop picture :p

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
If you really think a fish is eating or cutting them up I would pick the gourami. They are bubble nest breeders. They chomp on the plants and collect pieces up at the water level. When they have enough up there they start to blow bubbles in them. I've had males do this with no female present. Do you see plant bits floating?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes there was a lot of plant bits floating and no obvious signs of blowing bubbles like a Mexican fighting fish would. i placed half a polystyrene cup floating in water and it seems there not using it but as u said plant debris everywhere. i guess this could be the posibilitie lets hope so i hear they can have somewhere into a thousand young.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I've never heard of the cup thing before. I had a pair of dwarf gouramis that would regularly do the spawn thing. I would even see the fry. They were minute. They never survived as it was a community tank. They always had a nest going. There was much more plant mass than bubbles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok then well when the whole plant matter / bubble thing starts to take place ill shoot some shots to post so we can see whats going on
thanks for the advice u have been very helpful

·
Registered
105 Posts
I completely agree Tex, and I do think what she said is the problem, but just to add in. Bristlenose Plecos shouldn't be kept with any plants that have softer leaves (So, if you have any...), because they could tear them up very easily.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
I want to second csaxe21's statement about Bristlenose plecos and plecos in general. While a lot of plecos don't eat the plants directly they do tend to rasp on the leaves and cause damage over time. I had several clown plecos and they ended up devastating my anubias as they scraped them for algae.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
went to the pet store today he also agrees that the male Gourami is the culprit and tonight i witnessed it in action for the 1st time in weeks of owning these fish i guess he is getting quite frisky.
i also purchased two axolotyl's but they are in a seperate tank now i need to build a housing enviroment for them to have fun in.
thanks again for the replies as u guys have been great help .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts