Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 23 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a small tank for my office- 5.5 planted, with a heater, Fluval 1 internal filter, 18watts PC lighting. I *may* put a betta in it if I can get the permission of the current owner of the fish to take it into the office. What would be other good fish for that tank - with or without the betta in it? I'd like some little fish that would be peaceful and a little active but not need a lot of swimming room, if that exists!
Thanks!

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nod, I have White Clouds in my 30g. Someone else had told me that they like more swimming room also.
I called my LFS that I trust to see if they had endlers, but they don't.
I'm nervous to try neons bc what I've read is that they can be prone to disease and/or fragile. I'm a beginner, so I'd like something pretty hardy.
I looked around more and was thinking about some zebra danios. I checked on ThatPetPlace and it said that they can go in a 5g tank. They would mix with the Betta too, if I get it.
The betta is one I bought for my boss's daughter who wound up getting two for her birthday. Poor thing lives in a bowl and doesn't get any filtration, heat or light.... I was hoping setting up a tank at work would be a good excuse to bring him to a planted tank where he could flop on some leaves! So, I'd like to set it up so it's in good shape whether he comes or not.....

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm glad you all mentioned that about the danios- I was getting ready to settle on them. The betta I have in my 10g does terrify my oto... I had three in there, now I see only one regularly. Not sure if the others are still there, but the one is pale.....probably stressed and may have to be moved.
I love cories!! They would be neat in there...
I saw some cherry barbs today too.... are they nippy also?
Thanks for all the help!

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think if I get the permission to have the betta in the office, that I'll get some ghost shrimp for algae control and maybe just leave the betta by himself. Although, I will look into the cherry barbs some more.
And, if I don't get the permission to house the betta, I may go with the cherry barbs. I just want to make sure that is really enough room for them to be comfortable.
I appreciate all of the input.
I would like to look into some of the less common fish that were mentioned too- I'll have to see if my LFS carries any of them!
Thanks again for all of the experienced help!

1 - 4 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.