Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who do not have any algae issues, how heavy is your bioload?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
About 6 months in to my last set-up, I had absolutely NO algae (that I could see) . My fish load was very light. 6 fish about 2-3", and 5 fish about 1" in a 55 gal.

I personally don't think fish load has as much to do with algae as balancing ferts with plant use.

-Dave

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you had a really heavy fish load, you would expect more algae issues right? What happened after 6 months? did you add fish and get algae?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
It stayed algae free until I decided to rip it all apart and re-scape. Then, the cycle started all over, and then I moved have started over yet again. I think that planted aquariums go through an "algae-phase" and then it just disappears (assuming you have the right amount of light+fert+etc... ) . the tank I have just set up is going on 3 months and I can see the algae issues starting to subside. I fully expect that in a couple more months it won't be an issue as long as I don't do anything drastic.

-Dave

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Hi ShaneSmith,

I have tanks with both high and low bioloads. In my 45 gallon I have a very light bioload (10 Corys, 3 Otos, 1 SAE), a little GSA, and that's about it. In my 30 gallon, I have a very heavy bioload (2 full grown Silver Veil Angels; 15 Cardinals, 8 Rasboras, 6 Corys, 3 Otos, and 1 SAE) and no algae!

Both tanks have medium to low circulation; about 2 WPG; CO2; dose PPS-Pro; use Glutaraldehyde at 2X rate; and have a 6-8 hour photoperiod split 50/50 morning and evening.

If you need more info, let me know!

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Hi ShaneSmith,

Yes, I use Glutaraldehyde mostly for the algae control, secondarily for extra carbon for plant growth. I first started using Flourish Excel for algae control after reading this thread:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/algae/3806-flourish-excel-got-rid-all-my.html

It worked miracles in my tanks, but even buying the 2 liter bottles online, Excel was expensive. Then I found this thread lurking in an APC club forum talking about Glut being the active ingredient in Excel. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/south-western-ohio-aquatic-plant-enthusiasts/31615-glutaraldehyde-instead-excel.html
I bought glut online and have been using it for several months with no noticeable difference compared to Excel.

Several other members of GSAS are also using Glut. There are posts from me in both threads, one post includes the concentration of Glut in Excel. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts