Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Fish recommendation for tall tank

50K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  BryceM 
#1 ·
Other than Angelfish I couldn't think of any fish that would move and look well in a tall tank. If others have some ideas, I'd like to hear about them.

#10 ·
Have you thought of going with Tetras for the middle and hatchet fish for the top to go along with the Angelfish? Additions of Blue Rams and cleanup crew would complete it.

You can probably end up creating a biotope with them.

regards,
Ravi

#12 ·
What did you end up going with? Out of curiousity :p

#14 ·
Wild Angels will look superb. I've got some Peruvian 'altums' (actually Pt.scalare) that are superb, with red spotting and beautiful patterning on the sides and gill covers. However now that mine have paired my 3ftx1.5'x1.5' tank is only big enough for one pair. I'd start with 6 and see if they carry on getting on after they've paired as your tank is much taller and wider than mine so there's a chance.

#16 ·
Thanks Ed. Yes I would love to get the wild ones if I can acquire them. Do you recommend getting them as young as possible?
I'd try and get them fairly young, but not tiny. Maybe about 1.5 - 2" long? I'd say say mine were young adults when I got them and a little bigger than that. I only got 4 though and then had real aggression problems when two paired - they killed one and I had to remove the other as soon as possible. I think if I'd had 6 or more it would have spread the aggression around a bit more and I would have had less problems.

Annoyingly my LFS has a load of wild scalare in now but shipping from Nottingham isn't really an option... ;) :lol: At least it is the right time of year for wild imports from SA so you should be able to get them from a good LFS or over the internet. If you can the really well marked Red-spotted scalares are gorgeous IMO!

#18 ·
That's a good question Raul, luckily the tank is in New York City and the water is soft and acidic. I believe out of tap (PH high 6.5/6.8 and kh 2/3. Although with the New York pipe system so old who know what else is making it into the water.

Ed thanks again for that detailed information. That gives some good information. So it sounds lke if I place 6 or so in the tank from the getgo some might have to come out based on behavior.

#20 ·
Angels really are unpredictable. I've kept as few as one and as many as 7 or 8 full size fish. I'd agree with Ed that one or two individuals housed with a breeding pair will likely suffer the worst. It all depends though. I currently have two breeding pair (which have spawned simultaneously) and a single "loner" in a 46g tank and they're all getting along just fine, despite the overcrowding. Thankfully two or three are destined for my sister's tank soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.