Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@dwalstad

Hope you are keeping well. I saw you had some older posts regarding fish TB and I wanted to reach out you to ask a question about Fish TB. Well over a year ago I had a major outbreak and lost over 700 rainbows. Lots has happened in between and I have sanitised all the breeder tanks and started firing them up again. One tank I have not touched yet is the display tank. Last fish died about 1month ago. It has aqua soil and heavily planted. Is there a way to save the plants?
Any advice would greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
UVC from sunlight is too weak. You can run a UVC bulb in line with a canister filter or pump. It'll reduce the numbers of TB but won't eliminate them.

I can't guarantee this but try multiple rinses with hydrogen peroxide solution over a week for 10-20 seconds. Too much and too long can kill the plants. Try it out on one plant first.

I wouldn't risk another TB outbreak. I'd trash the plants.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Sorry for the loss of fish btw. I assume you're a breeder having that much fish.
I would invest in UV sterilizers for the future. It does help with the spread of disease.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Could removing the plants and immersing them for a while in a potassium permanganate solution kill off the TB? I remember it being used to "sterilize" plants before introducing them into an aquarium. I don't remember what all it can kill off to keep the plants from bringing in things, but I thought it was used to kill non-plant life. I'm about to go into a meeting now, but I found the document below which might be useful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts