Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Looking to get your feedback on Algae cleaners by type of fish, the algae that they prefer. I'm aware that we use Otocinclus, Red-tailed Garra, Siamese Algae Eaters, Chinese Algae Eaters, Amano Shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp, Rosy Barbs, etc. However, I'd like to learn what types of algae they prefer to eat and what their limitations (like, they only eat algae when they're young or very hard to acclamatize, etc.) are. Also, please add any other fishes or inverts that you think should be in the list.

FISH ------------------------ ALGAE ----------------------- LIMITATIONS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Otocinclus
Red-Tailed Garra
Florida Flag Fish
SAE
CAE
Amano Shrimp
Red Cherry Shrimp

Looking forward for your thoughts.

Thank you.

·
r'bow lover
1,658 Posts
I'm sure this info is available in the algae forum. You may want to check there first since this is alot to ask. just my .02

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Don't forget things like nerite snails. They're one of the best little algae eaters out there. :)

I think this would be a good spot for listing fish and the specific types of algae they eat, so hopefully people will jump in.

I'm a bit short on time at present, but will try to jump back in later.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
C'mon folks. This would be helpful for all the beginners with this hobby.

The goal here is to identify the types of algae that the fish/inverts prefer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
first of all, BGA(Blue Green Algae), no fish or shrimp will touch... but it is easy to get rid of, just black out your tank for three days.

SAE, the only fish eat BBA which is red algae, also eat hair algae, GSA(green spot algae), and diatom film.

ottos, eat diatoms, but if you have a bad algae break out, several ottos don't help that much, only some certain spots will completely free of algae since they constantly gether and graze on, but the rest area will build up a thick film of diatom and bacteria. And, ottos don't eat BBA, GSA or hair algae. ottos only good for a healthy plant tank and they can clear the surface of plants to prevent any kind of algae settle on the plant.

Young CAE, like thick diatom film, adult CAE, like fish food, if you don't feed adult CAE, they will turn to your plants or other fish..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts