Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Both posters make some good points. If your doing a planted tank, depending on how much plant mass you have there really isn't much of a cycle. The plants will take care of that for you. It's very important at startup especially if you have medium to hight light to do the following to avoid issues with algae:

Run your lights around 6 to 7 hrs for the first month or so. I've never done the split period but you don't have to worry about it if you limit lights to 6 to 7 hrs. Eventually you can increase it to 9 to 10

Use carbon in the filter. I don't mean a carbon-based product like excel. I mean activated carbon that goes in the filter. This will help remove waste in the early stages. The plants don't really get going for a while and the biofilter is immature. After a few weeks you can remove the carbon.

If your not using co2, use excel right away and daily.

Don't put fish in for at least a month.

Change 50% of the water weekly. This will not affect the cycle. Most bacteria forms and adheres on surfaces.

If you do these things you will dramatically reduce algae and other headaches.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Ok, thanks!

One more question, I've been cycling for 10 days now at 1ppm ammonia.....still no nitrite.

How long does it usually take to get the initial nitrite spike? I know there are a million variables but....how long did it take for you?
As hoppy said you might night even notice a cycle, but I don't know as you mentioned all the parameters of your tank. The heavier you plant the better, but not everyone is in a position to plant heavily at first and might not want to so if you follow the things I mentioned you'll be better off. Yeah you could plant heavily and add fish right away, but why risk it. Get the plants growing and looking like the tanks right then slowly add some fish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts