Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
T5 bulbs are much brighter than other fluorescent bulbs, so 1.7 watts of T5 is worth at least 2.2 watts of other fluorescent bulbs. So, I would call your tank at least a moderately high light tank. You will definitely get algae of various types if you don't supply enough carbon to keep the plants growing as fast as the light is driving them to grow. It is the fast growing plants that keep the ammonia level at zero in the tank, and that discourages algae from starting. The photoperiod should probably be 8 hours or less per day. As far as I have been able to learn, based on reading these forums and on the advice of the "experts", a split photoperiod has no effect on algae growth, either good or bad.

If you had started the tank per http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/54943-how-start-new-aquarium.html#post413807, that would probably have been the best way to start it. You don't now have that option.

For the carbon the plants need you can dose Excel, but no amount of Excel is equal to CO2 as a carbon source. It is just much better than none at all.

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
The last times I started a tank I planted heavily from the start, did no cycling at all, added fish very soon, within a week, and had no problems at all that I could relate to ammonia or nitrite. The secret is planting heavily and providing enough nutrients and light for the plants to grow rapidly. Then, they consume any ammonia the moment it appears in the tank, so the bacterial colonies that always form in an aquarium just form more slowly, but aren't missed in their absence.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts