Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here has a fishroom with multiple racks, centralized/non-central system etc etc etc.

If so, I will follow up with questions. :wink:

·
Registered
542 Posts
room ideas

I have some pictures here:
http://users.ev1.net/~spituch/Steve's Page/Aquarium/hardware/fish room/sunroom.html

I try to keep about 18 inches clear in back of large show tanks. Its a real pleasure working on all four sides of the tank. Its also much easier to do water changes by the windows and work on filters, etc. You see Amano a lot at the back of his tanks.

On the left side of the room where the couch is I may eventually put racks of 10 to 20 gallon tanks. Since these are small they probably will go against the wall.

Steve Pituch

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the "final" layout of my fishroom.

Tanks:

Notice changes in tank size *

Bottom shelf - 3 x 29G
Middle shelf - 5 x 10G (1 short-side)
Top shelf - 5 x 5 1/2 G + 1 x 2.5 G

Heat:

- heating entire room

Filtration

- PVC pipes with air pump (not sure which one yet)
- Hydro sponges on 10s and 5s -> http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FILTRATION/Hydro-Sponge_Filters/hydro-sponge_filters.html

- HOB on 29s (probably AC200)

Light

- 1 x 96" NO T12 double strip under each shelf. Lots of light in case I want to grow more plants ;)

fixture - 25$
bulbs 6500K 84CRI - 10$

Fish to come:
- Latecara sp.
- Apistogramma sp.
- various Killies
- Kribs
- Julis
- small Malawi cichlids
- etc.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Raul-7 said:
How about using the automatic water changing pipe system? :wink:
I thought about that. I really don't want to invest time and money into it. Plus I don't want to drill tanks.

This is 2nd floor apartment so I'm trying to eliminate excess material.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Why not use Penguin or Emperor HOBs...they're great for tanks that don't have plants and house a lot of fish?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Raul-7 said:
Why not use Penguin or Emperor HOBs...they're great for tanks that don't have plants and house a lot of fish?
Sorry but Penguins are poor version of Emperors and are on the bottom of my list. This is experience from keeping african cichlids from Lake Malawi.

ACs use sponges, and are quiet when compared to Emperor (The Waterfalls).

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Jay,

What are you trying to accomplish with this? Do you want to breed fish, grow plants, have a bunch of aquascaped tanks?

Things to keep in mind/ I wish I'd done but didn't when making my plant rack:

Don't forget to take the height of your light fixture into account when determining the distance from the top of the tank to the next crossmember. My T-12 Shoplights take up 4" from the space between the tanks. I had to drop the bottom tank a full foot to account for the extra used space and still have 8" to get stuff in/out of the tanks.

Also, if you're planning on cutting notches out of your upright members to inset the crossmembers, make sure to plan for the decreased width inside the rack. My plant rack is 10g tanks lengthwise along the wall and with two notched uprights I only have room for 1 two bulb fixture. I was originally wanting two fixtures per level......

Make the frame for the tanks first and then attach them to the upright members. Because I overestimated the width of the 2x4s, my tanks are sitting with an inch hanging over the crossmembers. Although, now I've got the perfect excuse to get plywood and put reptile heaters under the tanks. :)

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phil Edwards said:
Jay,

What are you trying to accomplish with this? Do you want to breed fish, grow plants, have a bunch of aquascaped tanks?
Primarly grow fish. No aquascape tanks. Grow some plants but nothing fancy.

Don't forget to take the height of your light fixture into account when determining the distance from the top of the tank to the next crossmember. My T-12 Shoplights take up 4" from the space between the tanks.
As you can see, I have 12" between top of the tank to above 2x4. So If I place fixture, I still have 8" between. I also have bottom 14" which is not being used but it was designed to help with lower shelf tank drainage. I could use at least 1-2" of that space for each shelf space.

Also, if you're planning on cutting notches out of your upright members to inset the crossmembers, make sure to plan for the decreased width inside the rack.
I'm using 4x8ft plywood which will give me 24" of width - notches = 20

My plant rack is 10g tanks lengthwise along the wall and with two notched uprights I only have room for 1 two bulb fixture. I was originally wanting two fixtures per level......
I will have enough for two.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
You're welcome Jay.

About filtration....individual sponge filters will probably be your best bet. A few large hobby pumps should power enough sponges to keep all the fish in there happy and nothing's better in a breeding tank than a sponge filter.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phil Edwards said:
A few large hobby pumps should power enough sponges to keep all the fish in there happy and nothing's better in a breeding tank than a sponge filter.
I am shooting for Rena 400 :idea:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I didn't think rena 400 can power pvc style airline. You would need at least a hagen hi-blow to do that or similar style of pump.

I was in the process of designing a fishroom, but theres too much furniture/painting at risk to water damage.

Self waterchanging system is not as expensive as it look. Slap a timer on the pump that feed the tank or use a 24/7 drip system. Put a threaded needle valve to the pvc pipe and attach a sprinkler line to that end. Let the line hang over the tank and attach a 1 gph sprinkler drip system to the other end.

The old water will overflow to another tub with a censor sump pump which get auto turn on when water reach a certain level.

You can avoid drilling the tank out by doing a DIY overflow pipe setup.

Below is a link to one of the discus breeder using DIY parts for his setup.

http://www.discusfish.us/default.cfm?page_var=waterwork

I find getting all the glass tanks to be the most expensive when I had it all worked out. The room was design to use a mininum of 40 tanks each being no less than 30Gallon.

I was going to use ball valves for all the tank refill, which added to the cost of piping really fast; however, it is really cheap when you start avoiding all the Tees,elbows and ballvalves to go with a drip system.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am looking for space heaters to heat my fishroom. I was told that ceramic heaters w/ controler on the cord as the best.

Any tips ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Jay...

I have two racks, one houses 3 10 gallons, the other has 2 20longs and 5 2.5's. Five 2.5 on end is same frontprint as twenty long, works out real well... I use exclusively the #00 sponge filters from Jehmco, I'm keeping a pair of gardneri, diamond tetra, A. normanii, Ram/Cory tank and a pair of saltwater clownfish... 2.5s are for fry rearing...

Skip the intermediate air pumps and go right for a linear piston air pump... very quiet, I have the LPH26 model from Jehmco. They also sell a PVC manifold, about 3.5-4 feet long with twently air valves, pick one of these up also.

Be sure theres enough room to fully open an All-glass canopy between racks. Have water worked out in advanced, even the strongest powerhead can't pump to the top rack, you're in sump pump land working against 4+ feet of head pressure. Visit a local killifish guy, these folks tend to have great fishroom automation.

Also, on your racks, go with 3/4" ply and leave the front 2x4 off, a la aquarium center racks... that extra 3.5" to work with up front is really helpful. Use pinkboard from home improvement center under tanks, I cracked a 10 on the top of my rack as it didn't sit exactly true on the ply...

Jeff

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JLudwig said:
I use exclusively the #00 sponge filters from Jehmco
Which one is that ? Did you mean H-0 model Hydro ?

Skip the intermediate air pumps and go right for a linear piston air pump... very quiet, I have the LPH26 model from Jehmco.
Thats the one Ghazanfar is using it. You talked me into it. What the hell, $189 :shock:
http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Central_Air_Pumps/26_Watt_Pump/26_watt_pump.html

They also sell a PVC manifold, about 3.5-4 feet long with twently air valves, pick one of these up also.
Which one. I can't find it.

Have water worked out in advanced, even the strongest powerhead can't pump to the top rack, you're in sump pump land working against 4+ feet of head pressure.
I'm buying Mag water pump w/ 500 gph or so.

Also, on your racks, go with 3/4" ply and leave the front 2x4 off, a la aquarium center racks... that extra 3.5" to work with up front is really helpful. Use pinkboard from home improvement center under tanks, I cracked a 10 on the top of my rack as it didn't sit exactly true on the ply...
I'm using 8x2ft rack so I will have plenty of room up front since tank will be positioned long way.
I'm using 3/4 " plywood.

I send you PM. Call me

·
Registered
201 Posts
Jay Luto said:
Which one is that ? Did you mean H-0 model Hydro ?
Yup... cheap, heavy, order replacement sponges while you're at it...

Jay said:
Thats the one Ghazanfar is using it. You talked me into it. What the hell, $189
Well... yes, it is expensive but we wasted the money for you already :) . We had two of the big guy Whispers, one Rena methinks and it couldn't keep up. They say xxx devices but you need to keep in mind the head pressure at the top tanks. We've prolly spent over $100 on smaller airpumps which are now worthless.

They also sell a PVC manifold, about 3.5-4 feet long with twently air valves, pick one of these up also.
Call them, I don't bother with their website anymore :) They are so helpful over the phone, they know exactly what you want... They can really help with a lot of design questions, they've supplied just about every serious fishroom I know about. They're not too far from us in Jersey either altho I dunno if they allow walk-ins...

I'll snap a few pics of the fishroom tonight, its water change night anyhow... Grab a can of BBS before the prices go up any more also...

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll snap a few pics of the fishroom tonight, its water change night anyhow... Grab a can of BBS before the prices go up any more also...
Jeff,

I got your message tonight but I was busy w/ fixing up entire house. Floors, walls, painting etc etc. I will call you when I get the chance.

Please post some pictures of your setup :wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts