Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
They aren't a problem at all. They are great for planted tanks. In fact, they will nibble algae in your aquarium. However, they aren't the most efficient algae-eater in all reality. They can be skiddish fish, but they also have lots of personality? The males turn a striking, deep shade of red, while the females stay a metallic grey or light blue. How many do you have?

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's likely that they are both female, because the males don't need to be in breeding condition to exhibit the red color. Healthy males will always show the red coloration, unless they are very young or an inch or less in length.

·
Registered
195 Posts
They are very peaceful. In fact, they can be a bit skiddish. They will not bother other fish, and will definitely get along with the fish you have listed.

edit: They MIGHT pick on your cherry shrimp.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ah...so the two females I have seem to be better than having my two females and adding a male.
I don't agree with that. I have kept these fish for years, and have not experienced anything but peaceful behavior from both males and females, including matched pairs. I have found that if they are fed prepared foods, they will rarely touch algae or plants. However, they are like any pets, there can always be one or two bad apples. I think it would be perfectly fine to add a male to your pair of females.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts