Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
That is a variety of water sprite, genus Ceratopteris. This rather broad leaved variety is sometimes called C. cornuata .

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I believe it can get quite a bit larger. this is one that I had back around 1969. It is floating in the upper right corner. You can see how big it is compared to the E. bleheri sword.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I definitely agree that it is a ceratopteris of some sort. Although, I bet that plant is baby ceratopteris pteroides. If it is it will eventually grow fairly large with leaves raised above the surface.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I have some Ceratopteris pteroides. During the winter when it gets less light mine stays around 4" across. When it starts getting more light it revs into high gear growing over 12" across and the leaves change from solid to highly branched. Luckily it will have a bunch of baby plants I can detach from the edges of the leaves so when it gets too big I remove the monster mother plant and keep the babies.

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
I've fixed it for now and likely won't be changing it back (thanks miremonster). I would like to find out what the deal is with that IPNI reference, just to see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts