Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finaly HAD to flood my tank :(
i was keeping it too moist and had a BGA out break. In order to treat it i flooded the tank.
this is my first nice layout i think. im really happy with it so i named it :rolleyes: Flooded Plains.

after some measuring i figured out my tank stats:
4.4 gallons
1/4" composted potting mix
1/2" moon sand (i think)
1/4" river sand (as river)

diy co2
hob junk filter (to clear water)
27 watt quad cfl 6500k 7 hours
no ferts
no fish yet.........

emersed start around 3-20-08 Im aware their was not a lot of growth for such a long period. i contribute this to the fact i over watered and didn't have enough air circulation.
flooded 5-14-08

and pictures of my tank and most likely soon to be algae farm. and close ups of bga.
i was playing with my macro lens so lots of pics.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
p.s. i would like to here some crit. on this? what do you think?minus the BGA of course. i can take it i swear. (maybe)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok added some fish and shrimp.

3x Amano shrimp (Caridina multidentata)
4x Neon Rasbora (Sundadanio axelrodi)

and now for more pics.... BTW has anyone ever tried to get a nice picture of neon rasboras? im pretty sure the only way to get a clear pic of them is if they where dead! but the shrimp where easy.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I think it's very nice. The spike in the middle is somewhat distracting. I know it's supposed to be a focal point, but I think it needs to be softened a little. Maybe moved next to some hairgrass and not dead center in the tank.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tex Gal
Re: "Flooded Plains" 56k bad! A LOT OF PICS!!!
I think it's very nice. The spike in the middle is somewhat distracting. I know it's supposed to be a focal point, but I think it needs to be softened a little. Maybe moved next to some hairgrass and not dead center in the tank.
thanks Tex gal

are you talking about the rocks? i have been thinking of swapping the rocks with each other.
if your talking about the wood its glued in.
and the erio is stuck their to i don't wanna mess with its roots.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I was talking about the erio. I understand about not wanting to move it because if its roots. Maybe just incorporate it into the scape with another plant. For instance insert plant next to it going back toward the tallest pointed rock. I really like your rocks.

Don't get me wrong the tank it great, just imho...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i like your idea! Robert is supposed to be getting some erio in soon, im hopeing their the smaller ones then i have. If they are im gonna get 2 of them for this scape maybe that will tie in the big Erio Cinereum (Sp. Thailand?) better.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well its been about 26 days and here we go UPDATE:

this is with no water changes and no ferts. maryicin was added for first week to kill BGA at 1/3 a packet a day. it was super messy when the BGA died. pieces floated every where. still some clinging to plants in photos, will have to clean it out soon.

3 three shrimp are dead lost the last one 4 days ago. going to have water tested to see if anything is going on, then get some cherry's and try again.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Love the small grass that you have in the back. What is it? Looks good with the rocks. The downoi is doing great! When the pellia on your logs fills in I will love that. You've got a nice tank going on there. :D

Looks like your fighting a bladderwort plant :( At least it's easy to pull out. Course with all those fine small plants maybe not.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Love the small grass that you have in the back. What is it? Looks good with the rocks. The downoi is doing great! When the pellia on your logs fills in I will love that. You've got a nice tank going on there. :D

Looks like your fighting a bladderwort plant :( At least it's easy to pull out. Course with all those fine small plants maybe not.
the plant in back is Utricularia graminifolia funny enough a bladderwort?

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Looking good! Tilting the rock so it was closer to the erio looks much better, it ties together more now. I'm looking forward to seeing how this fills in.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK UPDATE: Dosing did not go well:( downoi was gone pretty fast, UG followed with in a day or two and the a green slime type algae and a stringy mess followed. I Was dosing very very small amounts to see what would happen with the white downoi. 2-3 days of dosing put the tank out of whack.

So i did a water change cleaned the algae off the glass only, bumped up the flow on the hot filter. after a week or two it looked better but still some algae.

So I added some of the ramshorns snails i got from dgphelps, and they had the tank clean in about 2days.

Im going to add a betta to help control the population (I hope)

Also i have a surprise plant in front middle that popped up.

Since it's been a month since the last update, lots of pics.

comment please

edit: P.S. sorry for the dirty substrate i took pics before i cleaned
Full

Left

Center

Right

The last bit of my Downoi

Erio.

surprise plant

Snail

Same snail

Erio. "mini" just added

Attempt at catching a fish pic

play shot

second play shot

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Your surprise plant looks like blyxa. Sorry about your downoi. That is a sensitive plant for me. It took me about 5 or 6 tries to get that stuff to grow. It melted all the time. I finally have it growing in my shrimp tank.

Looks like you might finally have things under control. Your HC and grass is going great guns! Looks like you might have a few strands of UG around your erio. Look at your px. Another surprise for your! :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your surprise plant looks like blyxa. Sorry about your downoi. That is a sensitive plant for me. It took me about 5 or 6 tries to get that stuff to grow. It melted all the time. I finally have it growing in my shrimp tank.

Looks like you might finally have things under control. Your HC and grass is going great guns! Looks like you might have a few strands of UG around your erio. Look at your px. Another surprise for your! :D
I think you might be rite! I will look closer tomorrow i cant get to the timer.

I will not let downoi defeat me! I will try again in another tank that isnt so sensitive to changes.

as for the grass it has been unfazed (sp?) by anything and i have had to control the runners alot.

I think if i can get the erio mini to grow good i can use that to replace the downoi, the big erio has been really happy.

If that is blyxia it would be a huge surprise! i dont recall putting any in the tank ever but i could have.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts