Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever gotten a Florida Crypt? I don't know the scientific name for it. Its rooted and the stems are like stalks. I also got a green Wenditti. I got both from WalMart. I like Crypts because they seem very easy to grow.

Ken

·
Registered
852 Posts
Any idea what species this "Flordia Crypt" is? It can't be native.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Well, I can assure you there are no native Florida crypts. If you are getting it from Walmart, I would be suspicious that it is even a crypt. Any pics?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have seen this Florida Crypt at my local fish store. The scientific name was one that I have never seen. I might be able to get more detail Friday night if they still have it in stock.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
I think someone may be capitalizing on the crypts found in Texas and Florida. These plants were introduced there. We have some nice pictures from the expedition that Paul K and Steve Pituch did not too long ago.

Anyway, they would be C. beckettii, C. wendtii and C. undulata. If I recall, they were the species documented in those rivers. Perhaps this mysterious Florida Crypt is one of them?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I saw that on my most recent order sheet and got some just out of curiousity. For the record, it's definately NOT a Cryptocoryne. Although, if it's suitable for long term aquarium use it might be a nice substitute for a Crypt or Barclaya, depending on how big it gets.

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I think that the term, Florida crypt is applied to Physostegia purpurea, a north American marsh plant whose leaves superficially resemble crypt leaves, except for a more pronounced midrib. It has a flower stalk with purple flowers. See Kasselmann, p. 402, English edition.

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
I found some of that plant locally and it did not do well. I believe it does not tolerate the temperatures we commonly see in aquaria. I'll venture that 70f is about the most it could take for extended periods.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was wondering about those. Our warehouse manager just had to have some and ordered 50 pots of it. I guess I drop a few in tanks and see how they grow out if at all.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well, so far the Florida Crypt which isn't actually a crypt at all is doing very well in excessively hard 76 degree water. I think that this will grow into a huge plant.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Send a picture. Even if it isn't a crypt, we can make it an honorary crypt. :-s

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
I saw a plant at a LFS today that looked to be sourced from FAN. The tag said Physostegia leptophylla. Is that a valid species? I'm not sure, but it definitely wasn't P. purpurea.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Thanks for the picture. Definitely a stem plant! I will be interested to find out how well it grows in your aquarium, whether or not it can be propagated like other stem plants, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I have one of these guys. It was doing so good in the store I work at, I brought it home and it immediately shriveled up. It is still alive, and growing quite well oddly enough. But all the leaves are still shriveled up. All my other plants are nice and healthy. No idea what ir's problem is.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I ran across a reference to Physostegia leptophylla on a site about protected species in South Carolina. Or maybe it was North Carolina. Apparently Physostegia leptophylla is an old name given back in the early 1900's. At least two other Physostegia species were mentioned. Whether or not P. leptophylla will remain as a valid species or not is unclear. I got the impression that taxonomists have not looked at Physostegia very much recently.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts