Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have the mixed fortune of living close to the Florida everglades. Mixed in the sense that it is a wonderful resource but the humidity and mosquitos it produces are tremendous.

Anyway, as many of you know, it is a giant shallow river that is mostly covered in vegetation. Any tips on collecting there? What to look for (besides snakes, alligators, and panthers)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
florida too

I'm in FL too but a little ways away on the gulf near St. Petersburg. I too would be interested in everglades info and in info collecting on the gulf beaches and intercoastal areas. Thx. :lol:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I think a lot of collecting can be done right in our own artificial ponds,
Art. South Florida has A LOT of artificial ponds and lakes which have
a decent variety of flora. Some species you can find:

Myriophyllum sp.
Bacopa caroliniana
Bacopa monnieri
Eleocharis sp (two species)
Ludwigia repens
Cabomba caroliniana
Hydrocotyle sp (verticellata? umbellata?)
Aldovandra sp
Hygrophila polysperma (introduced...)

Carlos

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Rent your own canoes and head on out.
Road side ditches are especially fruitful.

There's a lot of materuial that's not been tried in a tank that will likely do okay.

If any of you find Aldrovandra, let me know, looks like hornwort somewhat, but smaller and has the venus fly trap structures.

I'd like some if it's collected from the wild.

Also, if you folks work that area good, I'm pretty good up here in the Northcentral, we can map some of the locations.

I know what's in Lake Annie also(Mayaca, Banana plants, two species of Utricularia and a bunch iof other weeds), it has a pH of 4.7!

I'm at the sourthern range opf a number of aquatic plants, you all further south are into tropical ranges.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts