Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some feedback as Tropica's plant nutrition is now $109 for 5 liters... I've been using the
Tropica product for the last 1.5 years. I notice that the Flourish Trace product is almost half the price. Are these effectively the same micro fert products?

I've been reading the posts about PPS etc. and so far I'm just confused, I'll keep reading though as I would like to get away from the commercial magic mixes for traces. I'm sure I could be doing as good a job with a much cheaper product.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Flourish (comprehensive) is close to the Tropica Plant Nutrition liquid. Flourish Trace is just spring water and it is a waste of money.

Check F. (comp) and F. Trace out at Seachem's site and the following calculator. TMG is Tropica Plant Nutrition liquid. You can find what is in TPNi from your instructions, Tropica's site or the fertfriend calculator.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/Planted.html
http://www.fishfriend.com/fertfriend.html

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I'm about ready to switch back to the Flourish stuff myself due to the skyrocketing Tropica prices. I've used the regular Flourish before and it works just fine. I second what Left C says above - make sure you don't buy the Seachem "Flourish Trace". It has no practical use as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
What happened? I could swear I paid $40 for the 5 liter last time.
$109 at big als I see. That's just crazy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I did pull up the two products at http://www.fishfriend.com/fertfriend.html and compared them. Frankly I don't know enough about traces to tell how similar/different they are based on the numbers. I'll go with the general comments that they seem to be relatively interchangeable for a hobbyist like me. So at $30 for 2L or the equivallent of $75 if there were a 5L version as compared to $109 for the 5L of Tropica I'll go with the Flourish and see how it goes.

I'm still reading up on the PPS thing and I've got probably two weeks before I run out of the Tropica product so if anyone would suggest bagging the commercial fluids and going PPS for the micros let me know.

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, I see the 250ml, 500ml and the 2L but not the 4L:confused:. That's alright though, I've been making due with the 500ml Tropica so 2L will be a big help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Orlando, nice to meet you, I'm new here. Can you do the 2L or 4L size of the Flourish? I checked out your site and saw the 500ml size. I'm always happy to support someone I know if possible. When I want to bathe in it I'll call you for the 5 gal size :D.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very cool, send me a PM when you have them in and I'll order from your site. Let me know if I need to mention anything like "Olando sent me" or something of that sort.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Orlando, I'm not trying to throw you under the bus here, but $300 for a 5-gallon bucket? That would make it $60 per gallon. BigAls is selling a 4-liter bottle of flourish for $57. I would have expected at least a small discount for buying in bulk.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Hmmmm...1 gallon is 3.78 liters. so pretty close:)
Keep in mind these are not normally for resale. Mainly for brick&mortor shops to refill bottles for folks.
The weight of one 5 gallon bucket alone would cost a bit in shipping.
Hence the reason I don't provide 5 gallon buckets of it(50Lbs)
If you can find a price match of a 5 gallon bucket I would gladly do so. I cant find many places that do sell such quantity.

Thanks, Orlando

At $57 for 4 liter, $285.00 for 5G.
I could do that, but keep in mind its 50lbs of weight.

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Of course you could just buy 1lb of CSM+B for $20, some HCl for another few dollars ($15 for 2 gal of 14.5% at home depot) and maybe another $10 in DI H2O and have enough to mix up 7-8 gals of stable micros. You'd be dosing .5ppm of iron a week at that rate; not as high as some go, but very far from limiting.

Kinda beats paying $50-$60/gal, especially considering your HCl will do for many more batches to come and you'll be getting a scale with which you can mix macro stock solutions or just dry dose by weight rather than hoping your teaspoon or their cap is accurate.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts