Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts
Of course you could just buy 1lb of CSM+B for $20, some HCl for another few dollars ($15 for 2 gal of 14.5% at home depot) and maybe another $10 in DI H2O and have enough to mix up 7-8 gals of stable micros. You'd be dosing .5ppm of iron a week at that rate; not as high as some go, but very far from limiting.

Kinda beats paying $50-$60/gal, especially considering your HCl will do for many more batches to come and you'll be getting a scale with which you can mix macro stock solutions or just dry dose by weight rather than hoping your teaspoon or their cap is accurate.
Lol, of course you can do this and keep it simple but, people don't, including me. I have all kinds of ferts in my house, all I need to do is learn math and chemistry
:)

· Registered
422 Posts
Good point there nfrank.

I wish I could recall the company that made my fert mixing containers; I can't find a brand anywhere. They do commercial kitchen wares, and all their measuring tools are accurate but inexpensive. I'll ask next time I'm by the restaurant supply store.
Hi Dan,

If and when you find out please post it. I would like to get measuring tools and bottles/containers.

· Registered
422 Posts
I did some looking and comparing. For the average hobbyist, ordering in a 2000ml glass beaker is probably the best bet. The stuff I'm using is too big to mix single or even double batches; I thought they had smaller.

For my individual test batches, I actually use a pyrex measuring cup that I've determined to be accurate by comparing with a proper graduated cylinder. I'll probably be ordering a beaker myself in the near future; 2L is perfect for mixing 1L and being able to stir at a decent rate.

Target hydrogen peroxide bottles are really the best deal for bottles. By the time you're through getting plastic bottles shipped to you, the break-even point might be something like 1000 plastic bottles.
Hi,

OK. I have a Target close to where I live. I'll check it out tomorrow. Right now I am using Seachem and TPN 500ml bottles. Thanks.

· Registered
422 Posts
You guys should check out this thread on containers at the PPS forum: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/pps-analysis-feedback/58222-containers-pps-mix.html

Still very happy with these guys, which were a little more coin but I feel will last me for years on top of years, so relatively inexpensive.

I like how the increments make for fast adjustments -- I do ~1mL into 20 gals is 1ppm NO3 and ~0.4ppm PO4 (separate bottles). This lets me hit targets easily. The syringes are the same locking standard as you'll find from any hospital supply. For example, when I picked up Cidex Pro I also got 100 3mL syringes for like $6 with no additional shipping.
Hey Wet,

That's too complicated for me but, I like it a lot. Thanks for the link.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.