Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
732 Posts
I suppose you are right! I’m assuming that mats808 needs soft acid water to breed his fish; so, adjusting pH is a requirement. I guess you might try NaHSO4 instead but that will add Na+

I’m not sure that NaHSO4 is safer than 0.05M H2SO4 but you can buy it at most pet supply locations.

The truth is that fooling around with chemistry involves the use of a lot of potent chemicals and you really need to know what you’re doing; so, you don’t get into trouble.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the suggestions. I like to ask questions and see what other hobbyists think. Sometimes even if I'm confident in what I'm doing I still just like to hear what other people think.

My Betta macrostoma pair has been doing fine. Knock on wood. :p I have only had this pair for 6 weeks now. The first time they bred was after only having them for 2 weeks. The male swallowed the eggs after 3 days. This is pretty common with this species, especially with wild animals. Not long after that they bred again. The male has been holding for about 2.5 weeks now. He should release soon. If I didn't just jinx myself, this will be pretty quick as far as acclimating a notoriously sensitive wild species and getting them to breed.

Hobbycalif,
With Betta macrostoma you can't really live with the higher pH like you mentioned. Maybe with captive bred stock but definitely not with wilds.....at least not at first. To breed wild macrostomas you want water on the softer side that is at least slightly acidic. I don't know if you are familar with this fish but this was once considered one of the holy grails of the aquarium hobby. Within the last few years there has been much more success breeding these fish but it is still a very pricey fish that is considered to be one of the more difficult wild Bettas to breed.

When I started this thread I really didn't expect to get the responses that I did. I was actually confused by some of the responses. I decided to ask "Seachem" for their opinion. If you go to the sponsor forums and look under Seachem you can see what they wrote. Look under "Flourish Questions" and "Fresh Trace & Discus Trace". About midway through the first topic (Flourish Questions) I asked my question....the second thread (Fresh Trace & Discus Trace) I started myself.

"Seachem" basically said that it is ok to use calcium chloride as it is not harmful to fish (only plants). He also said that fish do need trace elements and that it was a good idea to somehow add these to the water. Eventually he said that I should just use Seachem Equilibrium which I kind of disagree with but I understand why he would say that.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts