Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,

I'm hooking up the wires under my tank and need to know some AMP safety issues?

I'm in the finishing stage of my 150 Gallon DIY Flip-Up Canopy using ODNO lighting. Basically, I'm using 4 Ballasts I got off ebay (Pictures Attached). The ballasts stay they are .97 Amps.

I need to connect the wire from my lights and ballast together. I found some European Style Wire Terminal Strips (Pictures Attached) and want to mount them under my tank and connect all the wire with them, however, they are rated for 5 Amps! Is that enough to handle my lights since the Ballasts are only .97 Amps?

g

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
The picture of the ballast is too dark to read.
Are those ballasts magnetic or electronic?

ODNO will only work eith electronic ballasts.
Also 12 AWG copper conductor is rated for 20 amps at 120-600 volts.
Way larger than you need.
But a safety faactor is OK.

Charles

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think the question is about the terminal strips, not the wire. If I'm reading it properly the wires are already in place on the ballast and the lights, the question is if the strip can handle the load of connecting them together, and the answer is a big YES.

If that strip is listed as a 5amp capacity it is way more than is needed for the job, no problems at all.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the question is about the terminal strips, not the wire. If I'm reading it properly the wires are already in place on the ballast and the lights, the question is if the strip can handle the load of connecting them together, and the answer is a big YES.

If that strip is listed as a 5amp capacity it is way more than is needed for the job, no problems at all.
Thanks, That is what I thought, but wanted to make sure since I'm not the electrician guy!!!

g

·
Registered
612 Posts
My only concern is if you are going to use those on the secondary side of the ballast, (the light side) that is an open connector and the light side sees high voltage at startup, up to 700 Volts for a 48" tube. we had to drive a 96" tube to 1400 Volts to get it to fire. they do not operate at that high of voltage but I'd be careful how you mount those open connectors, if you are close and the lights come on it could wake you right up...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only concern is if you are going to use those on the secondary side of the ballast, (the light side) that is an open connector and the light side sees high voltage at startup, up to 700 Volts for a 48" tube. we had to drive a 96" tube to 1400 Volts to get it to fire. they do not operate at that high of voltage but I'd be careful how you mount those open connectors, if you are close and the lights come on it could wake you right up...
I plan to have these mounted way up under my stand. You would really have to make an effort to touch one of these at start up.

g

·
Registered
48 Posts
16 AWG will be fine, I doubt your gonna push 5A, 4 more than likely.

Patch, regarding that connector, I think we are all more concerned with arching, not touching them, though touching 700v is not fun, I've been hit with a thousand or so DC, OW that hurt for a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts