Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Fluval 204 problems

13K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  NYREPS 
#1 ·
I just came home to a water logged carpet.:mad:

looks like my fluval 204 is leaking at the seal area coming out by the clip. This is my first fluval been running since last week purchased used.

Has anyone else had trouble like this with a fluval? I hope its the motor O-ring but i dont see anything wrong with it. this sucks!!!
already ordered the o-ring will get to see i guess when it gets here. tell then im off to clean up 10 gallons of water.

#2 ·
This is way I ended up switching all my Fluvals to Rena Filstars. I had issues with leaking & cracked canisters. Sometimes the top seal needs a coating of cooking oil to help it seal properly.

#4 ·
im on my way to try the cooking oil thing. I will post with results.
MadMike
Re: Fluval 204 problems
I have had nothing but trouble with Fluvals. About 10 years ago I switched to the more expensive EHEIM canister and I love them. I have had the same one all this time and they need little to no maintenance. I highly recommend you dump the Fluval and try Eheim.
in all honesty i have been really happy with my magnum 350, I just purchased a used mag350 and this fluval came with it. I thought i was getting 2 birds with one stone, but no, i hit one bird, then the stone hit a tree bounced off and broke a kitchen window and broke the faucet off the kitchen sink. :fear:

A rena / ehiem or another mag 350(i stick with what i like ) would be nice in the future when i get the manifold designed and built for this tank. As it stands everything i have im trying to put in the store so all my tanks are on such a budget.

#6 ·
Check around the latches for minute cracks. I had a 204 several years ago that developed an almost undetectable crack near one of the latches which caused it to start to dribble. It took me about 10 minutes of inspection before
I finally saw it. Since then I have switched to Rena's and Eheim's. Sadly, the Fluval 04 series is just an inferior product.

#7 ·
As soon as i get a chance i will go take a closer look.

I have to say my first experience with Fluval has not been good. I have found it hard to prime, i think the pump is in an awkward spot sitting on top instead of the bottom, Im am not entirely sure how the way its set up that most of the water doesn't bypass the filtration all together. and of course that whole thing with the water on the floor isn't so good either, and the way it disconnects the hoses omg its a joke!I was going to add some quick disconnects with the auto shut offs but i didn't want to pull them from my inventory until i was sure about how i was going to set up my manifold. I am so thankful i didn't waist them on this. To be fair it was used, and as the guy was getting into his car after handing me the box he said "good luck" LOL

#8 ·
I have a 404 and a 205 and have had no problems with either. I have heard what every one else says with fluval but it has not been my experience. The prime is not hard to do and I like how they easily come apart to clean. If all you need is the top piece where the hoses attach it can be ordered.

http://www.fluvalparts.com/servlet/the-43/20060/Detail

Used filters can have their problems. I have a friend who came home to day to his new Rena Filstars to find the same problem. It is the one draw back to canister filters, it they fail it can cause a leak. Just my opinion.

#12 ·
I have quite a few Fluvals and Ditto the problems, and here is a further wrinkle:
They are not interchangeable! My one 204 is not the same as my other 204, for example. So if one bites the dust it is worthless as a supply of parts to fix the other one and keep it going longer.
Similar with the 304s and 404s. All together I probably have 10 Fluvals (got about half of them for free, as 'spare parts') but I have only been able to swap a few parts around, most are not compatible with each other. Even the same models!

I prefer not to put petroleum products on rubber, I use olive oil on the seals and O-rings. Sure helps to get them apart later, too. I also use it on Rena tubing to assemble these filters.

#15 ·
i had the same problem if you pull the primer button up and leave it there it will fix the problem i can not find the replacement part but i disected mine to find the o-ring on the primer had gone bad so by pulling the primer pump up will block the gap and give you a really nice filter

#16 ·
I've had several 304's and 404's and they both leaked from behind the clips. I even replaced the housing on the 404 and it lasted a few filter cleanings and it started leaking again. So no more Fluvals for me I'll stick with my Eheim. I currently have a 304 on my nano cube and when it starts to leak I'll switch over the a Eheim.

#18 ·
I realise this post may be too late for some people, but we were given a Fluval 204 Filter and have spent the last two days trying to solve the leaking problems! At last we have!! Leaking from around the clips and you automatically think it is the main O ring. This we replaced - tried Vaseline and even silicone, to no avail. But then took the top apart and discovered water in the top where there shouldn't be - Aha could it be the O rings on the Aqua Stop Tap - Yes it could. Finally the leaking water has stopped. Hallelujah. As we say, this post may be too late for some - but if it helps others then all good. :D :tea:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.