Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a used fluval 404 for 70.00 tomorrow. I have a 45g tank. This filter is rated for 100g tanks. I'm currently using a Ehiem ecco rated for a 35g tank. I feel that my current filter is way under powered and this is contributing to my algae infestation. Will this new filter be too much power? Can anyone who has experience with this filter give me some advice?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
The Fluvals have adjustable flow rate, so you should be fine.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you're paying anything more than $0.00 for a fluval, then you've paid too much. put the $ toward rena or eheim.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're paying anything more than $0.00 for a fluval, then you've paid too much. put the $ toward rena or eheim.
Can you explain yourself a little more? I have an Eheim ecco and it's really not that great. More of a pain in the butt really. Not even that quite. Can anyone object to paying 70.00 for a used fluval 404? Or have any issues with this filter?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i changed everything an bought a Eheim 2215. I figured after have to buy all the media and everything i was going to be spending about the same amount.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You ended up with a good filter....The other deal on the Fluval was good...but there's always cheaper.

On media, you definitely do not have to buy the commercial media available. Some people use pot scrubbers, lava rock, pvc shaving, etc. You get the pic.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Whats wrong with a fluval. Its cheap and good filter. There are alot of fluval 404 on ebay for $80 free ship. Also for a filter for 100g and under $90 thats cheap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just hope that this one gives my 45g more flow than the ecco did. I think it was causing me a lot of algae problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts