Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
They are great for string algae. However, as they get older they get lazy and don't work as hard. As adults, I find them pretty entertaining when they sort of sit on the plants.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
A better fish for eating algae (especially hair algae) is the Siamese Algae Eater, Crossocheilus siamensis. Not only are they better at algae clean-up than Flying Fox, Epalzeorhynchus kallopterus , but they will not get aggressive with age and can be kept in shoals.

However, as they get older they can get spoiled on commercial foods and will eat less algae. To keep this from happening, you can reduce feeding.

-Dave

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Yep, Oto's are true blue. They are, by far, my favorite algae eater...in fact they are my favorite fish.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oops sorry, I thought the flying fox was the same as an SAE. In any event, I have the SAE's not the flying foxes. I think the flying foxes must be the Chinese Algae Eaters which are not very nice fish when they get older.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ha, those guys are lazy algae eaters. In fact, they don't do anything for the tank but eat whats left on the ground. SAE's are much better, but also get lazy as they get older.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha, those guys are lazy algae eaters. In fact, they don't do anything for the tank but eat whats left on the ground. SAE's are much better, but also get lazy as they get older.
They sure are lazy! I asked the guy from the LFS if they're similiar to Oto's as far as eating algae, and he said yes, lying bas****..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts