Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have worked with both Fontinalis, "regular" Java moss and several of the different "fancy" mosses. The Fontinalis I used was local, New England collected, and came to me via the NEA while I was working on a ponds exhibit there.

I originally used it semi-emersed on the waterfall in my long deceased paludarium. Under these conditions, it did very well, coating the rocks with a dense, deep green carpet. It also eventually crept into the submersed areas. I found that it tended to get kind of ratty looking during prolonged hot weather during the summer, but it would bounce back with the cooler temperatures in the fall. The moss on the waterfall took the hardest hit at these times, probably because it was exposed to the even warmer air temperatures during the day time.

Even when Fontinalis and Java moss became inextricably tangled, I was able to separate pieces to grow out quite easily... not by sight, but by feel. Fontinalis feels much rougher, and almost "crispy" in comparison to any of the other mosses.

Karen

·
Registered
235 Posts
Fontinalis

My understanding is that Fontinalis is found world-wide. Like many other plants like that, there are different local varieties which have adapted to handle local conditions, but they are still the same species. (a similar situation is found with Riccia, where there are a number of different local morphs)

The trick, I think, is to choose plants that come from localities that most closely approximate the conditions we can provid in the aquarium. The type I had did great in the chiller-controlled trout stream exhibit at the NEA, but only did well in my tanks in the winter... it didn't die in the heat, but it was not attractive enough that I could recommend it.

We also found Fontinalis in a number of localities in south Texas. I'm sure it is all over the S.E. U.S. I think that plants from these areas would probably remain in better condition through the warmer months.

Oh, and yes, it does attach to rocks quite nicely... I had it on slate, which doesn't give much of a grip, and it had NO trouble at all hanging on.<g>

Karen

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.